PDA

View Full Version : Engine grenaded today. Need advice.

Steve O.
08-03-2003, 14:06
Only had this truck three months. Had 116K on it. Was headed away with the family for a few days and something let go, in a big way. Total metal on metal thrashing inside. Maybe a rod, maybe a bearing. Sounds like WWII in there. Won't run at all, obviously. No idea how this could have happened. Oil was fine.

Apart from the fact that I'm in shock over the whole thing, can anyone suggest sources for complete reman engines? Or, sources for crate motors? Anyone have any real world costs for either, plus, what can I expect to pay to have the swap done?

Thanks,

Steve

patrick m.
08-03-2003, 17:21
Avant, an advertiser here. I'm sure tanker will chime in here in a little while, he has an engine from them and seems to be very happy with it and with the service he got from them.
I will leave the rest of this to him.

tom.mcinerney
08-06-2003, 22:30
Yeah, Avant Salvage (aka Diesel Depot), and Peninsular Engines are the most popular suppliers of complete engines this forum. But other advertisers (click on 'advertiserts section' above) have pages with prices and other info.
The installation shouldn't be shortchanged insofar as the oil lines and wire harness need care, oil cooler may need flush/replacement. Good time to thoroughly clean radiator, etc.

tanker
08-07-2003, 03:56
Hi Steve, Sorry about your loss. It would be nice to hear just what broke in your engine.
I paid about $4000.00 for my engine from Jamie Avant at The Diesel Depot. I was away on business and did not have the time or a facility to swap this engine, or I probably would have done it myself as well. Labour to install was just under $2000.00 at my GM Dealer. I also went with all new hoses, (silicone on heater hoses) vacuum pump, torque converter, HO water pump, motor mounts, engine oil cooler, plus a lot of little items.
In my search I was guided by my wallet ($$) so the GM engine was a lot more than the rebuilt, plus I took the advantage of the lower compression pistons, had the engine balanced, and gear drive in lieu of the chain. I needed reliability as well, so thats why I replaced the components listed above. I enjoyed working with Jamie. His warranty was good as well. (I had two freeze plugs dripping coolant after about a month or so. Jamie paid my GM dealer to replace them, which is not an easy task)
Avant also offers other engines, used run tested engines, stock rebuilt, and then the sky is the limit on what you want in added items. They also do installations. So if you had someone going South on I-95 towards Florida, maybe you could hitch up ;) . Maybe someone from your area could point you to an installer that knows GM engines. Keep us updated.

WAPATI
08-07-2003, 07:57
Just read in the advertisers's that John Kennedy has a crate engine for around 6500. That you just install it. Comes with a two year warranty.

Blocks are the latest available.

If you have the area and the tools

ucdavis
08-07-2003, 11:38
SteveO,
Tanker's build specs are good ones. 18:1 pistons, gear timing, balance & HO cooling are what I'd go for to get max reliability. Journeydog ordered a new block for his Penninsular engine & I asked him why: "According to the literature, they're molybdenum enhanced grey iron, have taller and wider bearing caps, an optimized piston spray system and improved
head bosses (vs. OEM GM). Same blocks that are in the new MIL version HMMMV. Exceptional reliablity is the battle cry. I'm sure I'll be testing that aspect."
Good luck on the project & welcome.

JoeyD
08-07-2003, 18:55
Steve O, Where are you located?

Steve O.
08-07-2003, 22:33
Live and work in Framingham.

May be bringing the truck to Mass Diesel in Norfolk.

Steve

Journeydog
08-08-2003, 08:09
I should add to the ucdavis post above that Peninsular is not the only builder that can supply a new block. Apparently Avant, as well as others such as Kennedy, can also. Plus, if you do a Google search on Powrbilt, you'll find that all the blocks are now made at Franklin Power Products for General Engine Products, which is a sub of AM General (the maker of the HMMVW). And on and on...

BTW, Joey D...I'm an alum of AHS, Class of '55 (that's in 19, not 18...)

Good luck Steve!

JoeyD
08-08-2003, 16:11
Steve O, I have meet Scott from Mass diesel at a couple Dodge events and he seems like a great guy. I wouldn't hesitate to use him. I do my own wrenching as I enjoy it.

Journeydog, You are a little older than me' I was in the class of '92. Where in Arlington did you live? I am east Arlington.

Journeydog
08-08-2003, 16:46
Hay Joey D...just a tad older. Are you sure you're not one of my kids? :rolleyes:

But still kickin'. Must have been due to being raised on Spy Pond water, Buttrick's ice cream and local pizza. I grew up just north of the Concord Pike, one block east of Park Ave. on Glenburn Rd. I think it was called the Arlington Heights area. Left there when I went into the USAF and never came back, except to visit a few times.

Cheers!

Steve O.
08-08-2003, 20:49
Joey, good to hear that about Scott. A guy I race with found him through some Dodge 'net boards where he got lots of thumbs up. I had my truck towed down to him this afternoon.

Here's the thing: The engine might not be toast after all. As embarrasing as it may be to admit, the noise may not be something on the bottom end. I got it to start and run today, even though it was still sounding like living hell under the hood. It had good oil pressure. Two guys have suggested to me that a bad injector on these things could lead a person new to diesels to think something big had gone wrong. I can only hope thats the case here.

I do a good amount of my own wrenching myself, but don't have the luxury of time or experience with these engines to try and learn on my daily driver.

hoke
08-08-2003, 23:23
STEVE O
No one on this page has addressed reality as far as what your vehicle is worth. Kelly blue book 6K. Are you sure you want to invest 6 to 7K & still end up with a poor designed diesel that might run another 100K but may be worth less then what you have put into it! You did not say how many miles you have on it. I hope it is only a injector as some one else suggested. Another thought is the vacum pump. When it goes out it really sounds like the engine is coming apart. If your truck is running get a broom handle or any stick of wood that you can put to your ear and probe around the vacum pump & engine to locate the sound you are describing. Good luck I'm sure all of us on the DP hope it is minor.
hoke

hoke
08-08-2003, 23:35
Steve O
Sorry you did say you had 116 K on it. I have 127 K on mine & the last 10K miles has cost me 4K. Im running perfect now but with family along & reading the diesel page about these vehicles I am thinking I should sell before some thing else happens! My 3500 is like new in appearence and drives wonderful but is worth very little. Thinking on getting a CTD.

hoke

seeadler
08-09-2003, 13:23
Have the same Problem but on my SeaRay powered by an 6.2l Engine. engine grenaded than worked with metallic sound probably main web bearing/crankshaft prob.

I now have to fell the decision of buying a new/rebuilt block or do the check and repair of this old engine.

While looking for a block I found www.gm-diesel-engines.com (http://www.gm-diesel-engines.com) they are offering a marine block 18:1 low compression pistons for 3.495 $ + 300 $ core + 400$ transport to Germany.

Does anybody know them, is it a reliable company ? Would you suggest this block and then use all old parts from my 6.2l block with no turbo ?

Thanky a lot, Oliver (Berlin/Germany)

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 19:11
I see 3 ways of doing it:

1) bare bones CHEAP, and dump it

2) New block reman

3) Splayed main reman

Since I do not do engines, I have hooked up with Powrbilt. They have a quality product, straight forward pricing, and the new blocks. This should prove to be the best direction for myself as I do not have the time to go through a lengthy "sales pitch" and these engines should speak for themselves...

Kennedy
08-09-2003, 19:20
Originally posted by seeadler:

While looking for a block I found www.gm-diesel-engines.com (http://www.gm-diesel-engines.com) they are offering a marine block 18:1 low compression pistons for 3.495 $ + 300 $ core + 400$ transport to Germany.

Does anybody know them, is it a reliable company ? Would you suggest this block and then use all old parts from my 6.2l block with no turbo ?

Thanky a lot, Oliver (Berlin/Germany) Quote from the following page: http://www.gm-diesel-engines.com/quality.html

Quote:

We have never received even one serious complaint. The only few engines we have received complaints about, we rushed another engines replacing the defective ones along with a box of chocolates. :rolleyes:

This sounds like AAA again...

Journeydog
08-10-2003, 09:24
I've been in the market for a replacement engine and looked at these guys. I turned down their offer for two reasons:

david
08-11-2003, 22:11
steve o,
Check out the crank pully because it is mounted in rubber,sounds like a rod knock.
Also check the fly wheel and of course the injectors.