PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Dually

Agitated Monkey
11-03-2016, 11:41
My 95 dually has 245/75/16 tires. Can I run 275/75/16's with a 2" spacer between duals?

Robyn
11-04-2016, 06:37
As long as the tires don't rub it will work

Front swing clearance being acceptable as well.

The 275 75 R16 is a much wider tire than the 245

Are you trying to gain height or width ???

Spacers are an evil that I really can't recommend as being a safe way to go, especially on a dual wheel setup.

1/2 inch or at most 1 inch spacers tops, but adding 2 inches between the wheels is going to require some seriously long lug studs.

If it is a "Hub piloted wheel" vs a "Stud piloted wheel" the game changes.

A hub pilot (Wheel is supported by the hub) uses the studs/nuts only as clamping force and not weight bearing.

This could be workable but the GM dualy normally has a taper seat nut and using looooooooong studs is not a great plan.

Another option might be to find 2 wheels with a deeper drop center (give more offset for the outer dual) and still retain the factory lug stud arrangement.

What exactly is your end goal ??? More width or more height ???

Agitated Monkey
11-04-2016, 11:57
As long as the tires don't rub it will work

Front swing clearance being acceptable as well.

The 275 75 R16 is a much wider tire than the 245

Are you trying to gain height or width ???

Spacers are an evil that I really can't recommend as being a safe way to go, especially on a dual wheel setup.

1/2 inch or at most 1 inch spacers tops, but adding 2 inches between the wheels is going to require some seriously long lug studs.

If it is a "Hub piloted wheel" vs a "Stud piloted wheel" the game changes.

A hub pilot (Wheel is supported by the hub) uses the studs/nuts only as clamping force and not weight bearing.

This could be workable but the GM dualy normally has a taper seat nut and using looooooooong studs is not a great plan.

Another option might be to find 2 wheels with a deeper drop center (give more offset for the outer dual) and still retain the factory lug stud arrangement.

What exactly is your end goal ??? More width or more height ???

Mostly for looks. Fill up WW. I like the idea of deeper offset on rear wheels. Maybe a 265 will work better. My concern was the gap on dually. The spacers I looked at are steel, bolt on, hub centric with second set of studs for outer tire. Thanks for your thoughts; very helpful.

a5150nut
11-04-2016, 19:34
I was thinking of doing my 06 up with 285's for the look of it. But after pulling my 36ft fifth wheel cross country I decided not to. My reason was because the Duramax and Allison are so well paired I didn't want to upset that. I would have had to re gear both ends to keep ratios working where they are.

When you run taller tires it's like running up hill all the time. And when you hit the steep grades it gets worse.

Robyn
11-05-2016, 07:32
OK

Going with those type of spacers would be structurally sound.

I have seen other types that are really sketchy.

I had a 95 Dahooooley 4x4 and the tires and general stance are a tad anemic.

The larger diameter will mess with the speedo a tad but its no big deal.

I passed my rig on to my Son in law and he wants to lift it and do a straight axle up front and larger tires

Agitated Monkey
11-05-2016, 19:38
OK

Going with those type of spacers would be structurally sound.

I have seen other types that are really sketchy.

I had a 95 Dahooooley 4x4 and the tires and general stance are a tad anemic.

The larger diameter will mess with the speedo a tad but its no big deal.

I passed my rig on to my Son in law and he wants to lift it and do a straight axle up front and larger tires

Thanks! I think I'm going with the 275's with steel spacers that bolt on with the standard lugs and have a second set of lugs for the outer wheel. Took some measurements s feel it should all work. I will see some difference in speedo. I'll re-cal it. Also going with aloys for old school look. This truck is pull anything heavy. Maybe a 28' - 30' boat.

HH
11-05-2016, 19:42
My 95 dually has 245/75/16 tires. Can I run 275/75/16's with a 2" spacer between duals?

Get some 19.5" duals with 225/70/19.5 (~32") or 245/70/19.5 (~33") They will fill out the wheelwells, I put them on my 93.

Agitated Monkey
11-05-2016, 20:33
Get some 19.5" duals with 225/70/19.5 (~32") or 245/70/19.5 (~33") They will fill out the wheelwells, I put them on my 93.

Thanks! Buying wheels so could go with 19.5. I like the old school aloys however I do like the 19.5 look. Thanks again for the numbers. I'm saving this for reference.

Vandynt1
11-15-2016, 23:38
i run 305 70r16 on my dually with a 3 inch body lift with just 2 inch wheel spacers on the rear. the tires almost touch the leaf srings but i dont rub anywhere. buy good quality wheel spacers though

JeepSJ
12-22-2016, 10:26
What about a 255/85/16? Tall and skinny.