PDA

View Full Version : Class A motor home.

DickWells
11-27-2016, 17:56
First time on this particular forum for me, after all these years.
Any input about the 8.1 L V8? There's a motor home near here with that engine, and I just might want to give it a more thorough going over, since it's in very good condition and available at a really reasonable price. Amazing, from what we saw yesterday, how much rolling stock you can get for your money if you are willing to step into a Class A.

Oh! Can anyone tell me how the 8.1 stacks up against the Ford V10? Gas mileage, power, etc.

DmaxMaverick
11-27-2016, 21:20
Mileage? Meh... It's a gas V8 motorhome. Not much difference between the lot of them. Conditions and driving habits set your mileage more than anything.

The 8.1L was/is a true workhorse, and a worthy uprate from the 454. Very few issues. Long term durability. Well mannered. LOTS of power (325/500, IIRC). Relatively economical if used wisely. It compliments the Allison tranny very well (which is a real bonus over the competition). There are several aftermarket tunes that will really wake it up (depending on how much gas you want to pour into it). I was very disappointed to see GM discontinue it.