PDA

View Full Version : Filter Fuel Heater

Phil Holmen
11-07-2003, 12:47
When should the fuel filter heater have power...?? Mine doesn't seem to be gettting any power any time that I have checked it.

LanduytG
11-07-2003, 12:49
Phil
On A racor it comes on when under 40*F. What filter are you using?

Greg

Phil Holmen
11-07-2003, 13:49
Sorry I should have mentioned that this is the stock filter assembly...

tom.mcinerney
11-07-2003, 16:25
Phil--There should be power to the pigtail from base of conditioner assy when ignition ON.
The heater component [= 'bottom' of filter assy, a cast aluminum disk with cover & wire-pigtail on bottom, and a tube with resistive heating element extending up , coaxial inside filter house fuel feed tubes] contains an electromechanical 'button' spring-disk with contacts that close below temp about 40*F, energizing heat element until the button is warmed to about 80*F either by warm fuel or warm engine compartment, when 'button' snaps open, quickly separating contacts, extinguishing heater. On mine the oring was hard/flat; the heat tube was burst open; the button thermo-switch was shot. Two '95 filt assys had heater components with plated steel caps, both appeared to have leaked by look of insulation on wire on pigtail. A later heater had plastic bottom cover, updated construction, seemed leakfree.