PDA

View Full Version : Dual fuel filtration on L5P engines?

chessy56
12-20-2016, 12:12
OK folks, what's your recommendation on dual fuel filters for the newer 2017 LML engines? I've got one "in route" from the factory and am looking to do whatever I can to insure a long, productive life from this engine. Are the newer injectors as fussy to particulate size as the older ones run on the LB7s? And, do these require a lift pump (or, did GM finally get around to installing one)?

Let me know!

sb359
12-20-2016, 23:51
2017s don't have LML engines

Kennedy
12-22-2016, 07:42
Lift pump needed yes.

Added filtration is always a plus, BUT there is not a lot of room. I prefer to place the best filter last and NOT under the truck. Under the truck ensures that if you have to do an emergency roadside change you will be wearing diesel.

And I'll add don't get caught up on hype about separators. I have yet to see anyone actually report catching anything...

chessy56
01-01-2017, 18:35
I stand corrected- the 2017 is a L5P, not the LML! Had to dig a little to find that. Interesting specs on the redesign...

Kennedy
01-02-2017, 08:32
Everything filtration changes with the L5P.

Pump in tank and filter underneath on frame where it will undoubtedly be a pain to service unless on a lift.

chessy56
01-03-2017, 18:10
John-
Yeah, I caught something about that "pump" when I was reading the Duramax owner's guide, particularly where it describes how to handle those situations where you might run out of fuel. It states something about running cycles of ignition on/off to cycle the pump- apparently the one in the tank. Thereafter, start cranking for short periods until it fires up.

So, does this now suggest that we don't need lift pumps with the L5P? I haven't yet found the fuel test port yet (where I can connect your pressure/vacuum gauge) to test this out. Sure hope that pump is reliable.....