PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder temp readings

svcattle
12-24-2016, 02:23
Well I finally took an infrared temp gun and took readings at each cylinder at the exhaust manifold here's what I got I numbered them 1 to 4 one bieng the closets to the radiator 4 closest to the firewall so here they are .

1 left bank 185
2 209
3 215
4 225
1 right bank 175
2 196
3 208
4 210

So looking at these numbers do I have a dead hole

svcattle
12-24-2016, 02:56
Dead hole stupid phone

sctrailrider
12-24-2016, 04:58
Doesn't look like to me.... cooler at the front... warmer at the rear..... looks normal to me...

svcattle
12-25-2016, 18:27
That's kinda what I was thinking . I might have some broken rings I guess

DmaxMaverick
12-25-2016, 19:54
As was said, it looks normal. Why do you think you have broken rings? Which hole do you think is "dead"?

Robyn
12-26-2016, 09:02
Run through and crack each fuel line at the injector (Engine idling) and see if it causes a obvious miss fire.

If you have a cylinder that does not make as much difference as others, then do a compression test on that hole and see wasssssup.

Injectors and other things can cause changes in exhaust temp at a single cylinder.

The thickness of the particular exhaust passage in the manifold can change the temp some.
Amount of air flowing across the area could change the temp some.

As far as temps go, the only way I would get real interested in any readings would be if you had a pyro right in the exhaust stream on each cyl.

If you find a cylinder that is low on compression then this would be a good diagnostic marker.

If all the holes are at reasonable pressures and one hole seems to have an issue, then swap the injector from that hole with another and see if the problem follows the injector.

If the problem stays with the particular cylinder then the problem can be in the IP

svcattle
12-28-2016, 02:31
As was said, it looks normal. Why do you think you have broken rings? Which hole do you think is "dead"?

Trying to find my blow buy cause

DmaxMaverick
12-28-2016, 08:21
Trying to find my blow buy cause

OK. Then compression and leak-down tests are in order. Do both when the engine is hot. Your temperature readings don't show anything remarkable.

Robyn
12-28-2016, 08:43
I am going to venture an educated guess that you have some rings that may have not seated properly or ones that may have stuck.

Had the rig set for some time without being run ??? (long down time)

Was the engine rebuilt by who ????

svcattle
12-30-2016, 02:14
The engine only has about 80,000 on a Reman I'll have to look at my paper work and see who did it it was about 5000 dollars not that price means anything. I've worked it pretty hard this last summer thinking maybe it was a stuck ring and it would free up but it hasn't the truck runs really strong .

Robyn
12-30-2016, 07:44
How much blow by out the oil fill with the cap off ???

Does the blow by HUFF AND PUFF while the engine is running or just sort of flow out the tube ???

How much oily slop are you seeing in the Turbo inlet area ???

:)

More Power
12-30-2016, 11:00
All of these engines will produce some amount of blow-by because of the high compression. If what you're seeing is some degree of transparent, it's OK. If, on the other hand, the white smoke is mostly or completely opaque, it's not.

svcattle
12-31-2016, 00:12
How much blow by out the oil fill with the cap off ???

Does the blow by HUFF AND PUFF while the engine is running or just sort of flow out the tube ???

How much oily slop are you seeing in the Turbo inlet area ???

:)

It looks like a little steam engine and lots of oil in the intake

svcattle
12-31-2016, 17:19
Here's a link to a video of the blowbuy . https://youtu.be/hduY2KerYgM

sctrailrider
01-01-2017, 05:28
Yep, something not right there... that's a lot of blowby, rings more than likely...