PDA

View Full Version : In a cloud of smoke

Super Tech
08-04-2003, 07:28
I have a 1995 6.5TD.It will barely start.After it finally does it smokes(white with a smell of raw fuel)and skips.I have codes of 62,91,97,96,94,and 93.Fuel pressure is good, inlet and return.Anyone ever have these codes and symptoms?Could timing chain stretch be an issue here?Trucks got 150k showing.

rjschoolcraft
08-04-2003, 07:51
Code 62 is "Turbo Boost Sensor Circuit Low"

The codes in the 90's are cylinder balance faults.

However, hard starting, stumbling and smoking are usually associated with non-functional glow system. I'd check out the glow plug relay and coolant temperature sensor issues first. The forum has lots of info on this. Do a search.

john8662
08-04-2003, 07:58
Just looking at the codes it has a few cylinders with the "Cylinder Balance Fault". I don't know if this be injection pump related but how much blow-by does this engine produce cold? Are there white fumes coming from the dipstick? when you open the oil filler tube with the engine running how much smoke comes out (a little can be normal, but puffs are bad)? Just seeing what compression this engine has, I also agree, check and replace the glow plugs, that would cause the missing at startup.

Barry Nave
02-03-2004, 03:45
John
if your still out there, did you come up with any thing?

RLAM
04-01-2004, 16:16
Super Tech:
I had alot of blowby at 1800 miles. This was caused by scooping up a bunch of water threw a poorly sealed airbox. It was an easy fix. I threw the motor away and replaced it with a Pen diesel 18 to one.I also moved the airbox to a safer location. Now I (and my banker) are hoping for 300,000miles.