PDA

View Full Version : The great parts search...

JeepSJ
01-11-2017, 21:30
As I'm locating parts and pieces to put together another 6.5 using the other Navistar block, it might be cheaper and easier to go with a Cummins... Finding parts to build up a bare block, especially when I want a few new parts, is difficult. And all the rest of the stuff is getting expensive. What I need to find is a parting out truck and just strip the engine externals.

There are still a few things that I'm wanting for the build on the first engine (to go back into the Jeep) and I'll need for the 2nd engine as well. I need a cam, crank and rods. I have a used cam from one of the blocks and it should be OK to reuse. But I have no crank or rods and want to avoid used items that have an unknown history. Stock cranks I am finding are the same price or more than a Scat version.

Anyone have a NOS crank (or two) and some rods laying around?

john8662
01-23-2017, 21:19
From someone who builds custom engines. I'd strongly recommend buying a new longblock engine and being done with it. Sell the block and parts and make it worth while.

When I do a custom engine, even when being built to OE quality they cost 40% more than a crate engine. Components are what kills ya.

J

Robyn
01-24-2017, 07:50
Hmmmm

The spanky new AMG block I built up for the 95 Dahooley was pretty inexpensive.

Block $500 (New unfinished bores/long story)
New AMG heads $600 (pair local pickup)
New Scat crank $300 (ebay deal)
Pistons $75 (set of 8 new ebay mil surplus)
Rings $50 (set of 8 new ebay mil surplus)
Bearings $75 (complete set new cleavite ebay)
Gasket set $90 (ebay complete set mil surplus)
Head bolts $50 (ebay felpro 2 sets)
Rods from existing engine as were cam, lifters and timing gear set
Machine shop to finish bores and fit pistons, hot tank etc
$350
Pan, VC set, intake etc from existing engine

If ya like to scrounge and are not in a hurry to gitterdone it can be done pretty cheap.

Not sure of cost on a new crate engine but pretty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

JeepSJ
01-24-2017, 16:44
From someone who builds custom engines. I'd strongly recommend buying a new longblock engine and being done with it. Sell the block and parts and make it worth while.

When I do a custom engine, even when being built to OE quality they cost 40% more than a crate engine. Components are what kills ya.

J

Have you priced a good quality 6.5 crate engine lately?

Parts are coming around. New rods seem to be the challenge. Oh they can be had, but they are hovering around $90-100 each.