PDA

View Full Version : Do it or leave it be dual filtration and or lift pump

silver89
01-21-2017, 08:41
I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I have

been debating for awhile on whether to install dual filtration on my 01 duramax and possibly a lift pump or just leaving It alone. I just invested good amount of money into replacing injectors and want to protect my investment since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile.

Adding a second fuel filter has too restrict fuel flow somewhat and I would think this might shorten the life of the fuel pump. Maybe a lift pump might solve any issue with fuel restriction maybe it's not something to worry about.

The mechanic who installed my injectors said I would get better filtration without a lift pump because fuel is being pulled rather than pushed through the filter, but that I may get some more life out of the fuel pump.

Any good info would be appreciated

rapidoxidationman
01-21-2017, 18:36
Unless the fuel source is more than 30 feet or so below the pump, fuel IS being pushed through the fuel filter by atmospheric pressure. What a low pressure fuel pump WILL do is show leaks in the fuel lines up river of the high pressure fuel pump.

Some would say you'd be better off installing a better water separator than the OEM system provides, especially if you live in a humid/rainy area and that water is what kills injectors. Of course, this is about as provable as any other school of thought.

A high quality fuel supplement/lubricant, added to every tank of fuel, wouldn't hurt either.

Kennedy
02-01-2017, 10:25
I know this topic has probably been beat to death but I have

been debating for awhile on whether to install dual filtration on my 01 duramax and possibly a lift pump or just leaving It alone. I just invested good amount of money into replacing injectors and want to protect my investment since I plan on keeping the truck for awhile.

Adding a second fuel filter has too restrict fuel flow somewhat and I would think this might shorten the life of the fuel pump. Maybe a lift pump might solve any issue with fuel restriction maybe it's not something to worry about.

The mechanic who installed my injectors said I would get better filtration without a lift pump because fuel is being pulled rather than pushed through the filter, but that I may get some more life out of the fuel pump.

Any good info would be appreciated

Protect your investment. Here is a Tech Tip that I wrote regarding the Duaramax Lift pump that should help.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax%20lift%20pump.pdf

And another: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/Duramax%20lift%20pump.pdf