PDA

View Full Version : jMS PMD/FSD

lmdangerous
01-22-2017, 08:04
I just stumbled across the JMS /PDM. It sounds impressive. Total digital new heat sink design as a direct replacement with remote harness. It claims to be the first all digital design and is military grade and fits all AM general /hummer / or pump mounted driver 6.5 turbo diesels.
Does anyone have direct information about this PMD and remote harness. I installed a remote system and other than haveing one PMD fail it's been ok. Wanted to know the scoop on this PMD. I don't remember seeing it a year ago and I looked everywhere. At that time the standadyne grey was the ticket. Is it possible that someone actually produced a good PMD.
Been a while but thanks for any info
Lmd

DmaxMaverick
01-22-2017, 09:44
It's still too new to make a determination on function and reliability. The stated design seems sound, but others have made similar claims in the past. The only thing that concerns me initially is the operating voltage, which is stated to be 10V+. The Sol-D driver was excellent and very reliable, until voltage became questionable (~9.5V), which is a real factor during cold winter starts. We've been down this road before, and the end result has always ended the same. That said, I'd try it. At the same time, I'd keep a known-good FSD in the glove box. I'm optimistic, but skeptical.

Robyn
01-22-2017, 12:27
YUP YUP

Been down the road myself with the Sol D

Was perfect until the outside temps dropped below freezing, then zip nada no go.

After fooling with the thing and wrangling with the mfg. It became clear that there was an issue in the design.

They used MOSFET TRANSISTORS AND THE COLD WAS AN ISSUE.

The input voltage had to be in the 12 volt range to get the thing to fire, and as Maverick mentioned the voltages at the input while cranking would drop to 9.5v

If I jumped the vehicle with a rig that was running and supplying 14+ volts life was good.

The Sol D went away shortly after that and that was that.

The price of the new gizmo is a tad steep.

The DTECH pmd is about as good as it gets for less money.

Still it would be interesting to see the new unit tested under tough conditions. both cold and hot

Heat kills electronics and cold kills voltage/current flow.

lmdangerous
01-22-2017, 20:24
Thanks for the insight and info. I haven't made up my mind but I do know that the dorman units are not up to the task. Yep Napa honored the warranty. But wasn't much good 60 miles from no where. I wish there was a way to go back to a mechanical pump and still keep the rest of the electronics /dash etc functioning. But we've all been down that road also. I don't want to be the test mule this time/ as you said it's a bit steep.
What is the best known fsd/PMD out there that has a proven record and would also plug up to my remote harness. Yep I know I am still wanting it all.
Lmd.

Kennedy
01-23-2017, 08:02
In my experience the best PMD is the Stanadyne gray. It seems the longer the warranty these days the shorter the life. The Stanadyne warranty is nearly non existent yet they tend to last years versus months for the others.

I will also add that most coolers are too small and mounting to the engine is a sure way to get a quick fail.

Robyn
01-23-2017, 08:14
I put a Flight Systems PMD on the old Dahooooley back when I first bought it and it ran from 2007 to 2010 and then the truck sat while I built the Fresh AMG engine up from scratch and fought with health issues.

Got the rig back up in the fall of 14 and gave it to the Son in law.

He runs the wheels off it and has had zero issues.

I still think that the failures are possibly related to wiring issues on the individual rig ????

I have had rigs that ate PMD's like candy, and others that ran miles and years with no issues.

Go figure.

snarl
01-23-2017, 19:08
flight systems has a lifetime warranty