PDA

View Full Version : IP Fixed

bigtallguy
11-08-2003, 08:47
Well, I finally got my truck back with a new IP and it seems to be doing fine so far. The IP has a green tag on it, so that's the one with all the updates right? Also, I read some stuff about taking off the turbo power cover but have yet to do it, what are the pros and cons of taking it off? Anything I need to know to get it off other than the four bolts holding it in? By the way thanks for all of your help, I definitely felt more confident putting the spotlight on the mechanic with all the questions :D

schamp
11-08-2003, 09:42
The cover that says Turbo Power does a good job of keeping additional heat near the FSD/PMD. Not what you want. I took mine off and keep it in the shop. If I ever sell I may either put it back on or give it to the buyer. Keeping all the heat off of the pump/FSD is very important. Spencer

turbovair
11-08-2003, 14:55
What Schamp said.

Spindrift
11-08-2003, 15:33
I understand the logic of leaving the cover off. However, for those of us in cold, northern climates, does it make sense to keep it on during the winter. Besides...the cover looks cool!

schamp
11-09-2003, 06:12
I would think that the cover would not help much in very cold conditions. If it is that cold other things come into play long before the cover. Such as battery condition, clean battery connections, clean grounds, glow plugs, injectors, etc. There are many people (on this board) in very cold climates which may chime in. I think most have their covers removed. I think it was just put there for looks. If I ever sell my suburban I will hand it to the new buyer and explain that it is a POS. Not needed, etc. I live in Ga. and don't get alot of very cold weather. It's your choice. Mine is a dust collector in the shop.

kowsoc
11-09-2003, 06:47
I'm in Canada and know about the cold. I too was thinking that in the winter it would help keep the engine more cozy. I put it on for a 600 km round trip that I make quite often and my fuel economy dropped a bit so it's off again. I also was thinking of cutting some ventilation holes in it because I like how it looks but I think it might still interfere with airflow around the intake.

If you want to keep your engine happy in the cold cover the front. I usually keep my bumper holes closed too.

JohnC
11-09-2003, 09:07
If you got a new pump it should not have a green tag. To clarify, the green tag is a thin strip of aluminum maybe 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" long attached under one of the cover screws on the pump cover. It signified an early ('94 - '95) pump that had been upgraded to '96 specs. '96 and later pumps had different model numbers and, IIRC, a green label on the end facing the driver. (Earlier pumps had black or blue labels, again IIRC. MP wrote an article a long time back covering the different designations and identifications.) Your pump should be identified by the latest model number on the label. Sorry, I don't recall what that number should be. I think the '96 spec pump is 5288. Yours should be a higher number.

Kidd
11-09-2003, 09:47
When I bought my 98' the first thing I did on getting it home was toss the cover... just take the four bolts off. And yes, I live where it gets cold... got to -30 the other night. :(
K.D.

ucdavis
11-10-2003, 10:34
John C is right about the green tag signifying an old pump model. Unless this was some sort of a discount pump deal, you should have gotten a newly rebuilt or new pump which comes w/no tag. Earliest (94/95) models had blue tag, then green tag when the first updates came out, then no tag but new model numbers (IIRC, Kennedy or Heath has a table showing progression of model numbers). Rebuilts would have sported the green tag for a while, but I believe that's no longer the case. A brand new pump is, I believe, a model 5549?
Current FSD is GM # 12562836, Stanadyne model # 34583.
If you were entitled to a new or newly rebuilt pump, you may want to pursue that as the older versions are known to be less reliable.

[ 11-10-2003, 10:29 AM: Message edited by: ucdavis ]

bigtallguy
11-10-2003, 20:45
Well, mine has the green tag on it, so I don't know what to say. Should I go back and say something to the mechanic? How do I know if I should have gotten a different one? Oh, I tossed the turbo power cover, so hopefully that will help a little.

Barry Nave
11-11-2003, 02:28
Was this a Dealer or a shop with a mechanic?
I can see where a shop was glad to unload a green tag pump.

bigtallguy
11-11-2003, 10:16
Dealership.

ucdavis
11-11-2003, 11:00
I can see where a stealership would be glad to unload a green tag pump too, where a dealership would obviously have the higher ethical calling to install only the proper parts.
First, I'd call a local Stanadyne rebuilder & ask about what the current pump would be. If you were charged for a new pump, you should have one of the latest model numbers, period, which is 5549 according to the IP list on the TDP Member's Area page, but the Stanadyne guy/gal can say for sure. If it is a rebuild, he/she can tell you what they include & how long ago the green tag unit went out of style. This way you can say you heard the info on an informed internet site, but checked it w/Stanadyne to be sure.
Then acost the stealer & give him a piece of your mind accordingly.

J Vernon Bailey
11-11-2003, 19:42
Fellas. That cover is for sound control only. It cuts down on engine noise somewhat but it would take an instrument to measure how much. You might be violating some state standard but probably no one would notice. Mine is still in place but I have a mechanical pump.

Vernon

mike micklich
11-15-2003, 02:22
it make changing the fuel filter impossible without tools!mine is in the landfill