PDA

View Full Version : New starter problem

AugustDiesel
02-03-2017, 09:39
So back around October I installed a brand new starter in my suburban. Now, whenever I start it, it makes the same grinding noise that you would expect if you held the ignition switch in the crank position for too long, except I'm not. Any idea what could be causing this? Again, it's a new starter.

DmaxMaverick
02-03-2017, 09:56
Gear grinding? Or running along? New starter or not doesn't speak to the condition of the solenoid. If it hangs, the gear won't disengage. Also, check for a cracked gear (nose) housing and/or loose bolts, which is highly suspect if it's a direct drive, especially if the forward support bracket is missing or loose.

AugustDiesel
02-03-2017, 11:56
Well I know the front brace is missing, so I have another one on the way. Also, I did notice there is oil leaking around the starter bolts. What does that indicate?

DmaxMaverick
02-03-2017, 15:52
Oil on the starter bolts is a leaking valve cover, 99% of the time. 1% of the time, is better not discussed until you verify the valve covers are not leaking, and nothing else is (bad news).

With a missing bracket, it's possible the bolts are loose, starter housing is broken, or worse. If nothing appears broken, replace the bolts with new OEM. Avoid using it w/o the bracket as best you can.

sctrailrider
02-03-2017, 18:56
Sense no one has said it yet, you should NOT attempt to crank it again until you have new bolts & the front brace installed, it only takes that one time to break the block ear off and then another motor would be needed...

Surprised no one mentioned this....

Dvldog8793
02-03-2017, 19:11
Howdy
I have had a leaking fuel manager and by the time the trickle of fuel got down to the bottom it was nasty enough to look like oil. It came down right off the starter bolts. IMHO...if your starter has been loose without the nose bracket, I would take it off and give a good look. Also inspect the block area. When you put the NEW OEM(don't use any generic china crap, buy them in the GM package if you can) bolts in, make sure you torque them to spec and then after a few days of driving, retorque and check them often. As stated above, cheap insurance against a broken block.
Good luck!

AugustDiesel
02-03-2017, 19:23
New nose brace is on the way. I'll take the starter off and see how things look. Will keep everyone posted. Sounds like I might as well get new GM bolts as well.

AugustDiesel
02-03-2017, 20:12
Looks like ACDelco 15544950 GM Original Equipment Starter Bolt is what I'm looking for?

AugustDiesel
02-03-2017, 21:44
Here is a photo of the new starter right after it was installed and then one from tonight, showing the leakage.

AugustDiesel
02-04-2017, 16:00
Well I got the starter out. The bolts weren't loose and the starter wasn't damaged. I took it to autozone to be tested and it tested fine, but they replaced it under warranty for me anyways. So I have a new starter waiting and the brace and new bolts on the way. It's doesn't look like there is any damage to the ear on the block where the starter mounts. However ...

It looks like the oil is leaking from way above where the starter mounts. Here are some photos I took after removing the starter. Considering the span of the leak and the height from which it seems to be originating, I think it's unlikely it has anything to do with the starter. Perhaps the cylinder head gasket or valve cover gasket?

This is where the starter would be. So looking up towards the engine block from the ground.

This is from behind the engine looking forwards towards the backside of the engine block.

This is again where the starter would be, looking up from the ground, but looking more towards the exhaust manifold. Was trying to get a shot of where the cylinder head meets the block.

Of course all of those are on the passenger side. What do y'all think?

sctrailrider
02-04-2017, 18:47
valve cover is leaking...

Dvldog8793
02-05-2017, 04:59
Just an FYI-
They make two different nose brackets, one for a direct drive and one for a gear reduction.
It is your valve cover leaking. I think there is a good detailed post about best practice for fixing that leak.
Does you ring gear show any sings of wear?
Did you see anything that might have caused your starting issue?
Good luck!

AugustDiesel
02-05-2017, 06:42
Just an FYI-
They make two different nose brackets, one for a direct drive and one for a gear reduction.
It is your valve cover leaking. I think there is a good detailed post about best practice for fixing that leak.
Does you ring gear show any sings of wear?
Did you see anything that might have caused your starting issue?
Good luck!

The nose bracket is arriving today so I'll know later on if it's the right one.

No signs of wear in any mechanical parts. Only thing I can think of is maybe a combination of the nose bracket missing and oil seemed to be leaking from the valve cover into the starter....