PDA

View Full Version : Trial by Fire

Uncle Wally
08-06-2003, 19:26
Hey Guys,

We just got back from our first long distance trip pulling the trailer loaded. We have a 3 horse slant with living quarters. With 3 horses, I have no idea how much this thing weighs, but it's heavy.

Mods are in my sig at the bottom.

Here's the deal:

When we hit Wheeling WV on 470, the truck was seriously whooped. That hill pulled speed down to 20 mph by the time we hit the top. Coolant temp was right at 210. Engine oil temp was 240. Trans Temp was 240. I don't have the EGT gauge hooked up as I am waiting for the Crossover pipe from JK.

My concerns:

I don't like oil temps that hot - either engine or trans.

Coolant temp was the highest I ever saw it, and although it came right down when we crested the hill, I would like a little more breathing room.

Any suggestions?

I was thinking about adding engine oil and trans oil coolers that are more effecient. Maybe a remote oil filter setup and a larger pan would help. I don't have a clue as to what to do for the trans except add another cooler. I was also considering a 5 row radiator recore to increase cooling capacity some.

This thing will get a chip, along with an intercooler (I was thinking about getting the chip first and seeing how she did without the I/C, but after that long climb, I'm sure that EGT's would be through the roof if I went with a chip that pumped 80mm)

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Waldo

DogDiesel
08-07-2003, 04:43
Uncle Wally,
The single performance mod on my stock block which most reduced engine, oil, and exhaust temperatures was the intercooler.

I know you intend to install it, good, but it is the answer. When you have the 97+ cooling mods the cooling system optimim is near reached. It is just amazing how reduced charge air temperatures cool off everything.

Cooling is a three part process: (searching brain for archives of basic principles...)

Convection- transfer or exchange of heat from one source to another. Oil cooler, intercooler, out exhaust, etc.

Conduction- the active process of moving heat, ie the radiator, ie alternately the intercooler.

dissapation - release of temps to alternate source. ie heat release by block to air. Bigger block dissapating heat away from ciritical parts., the cooler fins, themselves, etc.

If I am off the mark with the principles and theory, come back. I have not seen this expounded on lately, and thought it good education and discussion. No intent to lecture, but just intent to give good discussion.

Wayne

Dimsdale
08-07-2003, 07:29
You might look at the high output cooling setup form Kennedy and others on this site. Dual thermostats and 130gpm water pump will help a lot. The calibrated fan clutch is a good investment. The computer tends to back off the power etc when temps get high. The intercooler mentioned above will tackle the other cooling problems.

WAPATI
08-07-2003, 07:35
I installed a Derale transmission three stacker oil cooler with a 1000 cfm fan that is controlled with a switch on the dash.

It is attached to the under side of the passenger side of the bed.

There is a transmission oil temperature gauge on the post.

The tranmission oil temperature is sensed as it enters the oil cooler in the raditor. This is the area that the oil temp will be at it's highest.

Live in Texas so we have some really high temperatures.

My rig came from the factory with a aux trans oil cooler in front of the rad.

Have seen the transmission oil temperature about to reach the 200 mark and turned the fan on and seen the coolant temp go down enough that the fan disengaged and transmission oil temp stayed at about 190.

So the oil path is changed to go from the transmission to the cooler in the rad. Then to the aux cooler in front of the rad then to the derale cooler then back into the transmission.

LanceW
08-07-2003, 15:02
Your WV trip sounds like my trip to Asheville 2 years ago w/ a 4 horse steel Bee.... what happened then? Oh, that's right- we blew up. :(

I wasn't driving when the piston cracked, but I am told (and do not doubt) that the coolant temp gauge never moved above 205. Fact gauges are worthless. I would hook that EGT up before I go out on the road again if I were you, even if you have to buy a new sender when the crossover comes. No matter what mods you put on, eventually there will be a point with the 6.5 where you need to back off. Also, Synthetic fluids will also handle the heat better than dinosaur pee.

I elected to go with less trailer (cheaper than 'more truck')- FWIW the Steel 4H, loaded for a show, no LQ tipped the scales around 13,000#, and our new 3H aluminum (no LQ) loads up around 9,000# fully freighted.

Sounds like you have a real nice setup, by the way. We are still doing the "air mattress in the GN peak" deal... Have fun with it & good luck