PDA

View Full Version : Loud Ticking Sound

gmenor
08-07-2003, 05:39
Got 95 Suburban with about 162,000 on it. As of lately I have been hearing a loud ticking sound coming from the drivers side - injectors? I bought this thing used so don't really know what has been done.

britannic
08-08-2003, 11:38
Lifters and other valve train components are also sources of ticking/tapping noises from the engine. Use a mechanic's stethoscope to help you with the diagnosis.

triggerman
08-08-2003, 22:24
Closely look at your injector lines. Aparently if a line is touching metal somewhere, you will get the taping. one fix is to use the newer style line keepers. good luck

GOT DSL
08-12-2003, 09:43
When my vacuum pump started going bad it was making a loud clicking sound.

charliepeterson
08-12-2003, 12:09
It could just be the Injectors popping off. The Turbo makes too much noise to hear it on that side clearly.

pannhead
08-12-2003, 18:05
take the serpentine belt off, then run engine...this way you can narrow it down to either the engine or the accessories (a/c,alt,etc)..may want to take a close look at the crank pulley also...just some ideas, good luck smile.gif

gmenor
08-12-2003, 18:46
Hey thanks everyone for the replies. Just got my computer back up. I don't think it is as drastic as the crankshaft - yet. I am temporarily away from my house with all my tools (took a job in DC). Just a little background, I am getting killer miles 17-18 mpg ever since I started using Power Diesel Injector cleaner (Walmart). After 4-5 tankful of the injector cleaner thats when the ticking really became noticable. Could be just imagination but pulling up at stoplight next to another car, it is very distinguishable ticking louder than the usual rattle - any thoughts?

GARY PAGE
08-12-2003, 19:10
SOMETIMES IT REAL HARD TO TELL WHERE THE NOISE IS COMING FROM. I RECENTLY REPLACED THE VACUUM PUMP DUE TO A NOISE, WHICH I COULD NOT LOCATE EXACTLY; BUT BEFORE I DID I MADE A VACUUM MEASUREMENT. THE VACUUM MEASUREMENT WAS WAY LOW SO I FIGURE IT NEEDED TO GO ANYWAY. THIS THING CAN MAKE ALL KINDS OF NOISE DON

JMZ
08-12-2003, 22:19
I had a 94 k2500 that sounded different from any other 6.5 that I have ever heard. It was a LOUD ticking noise. Sold it to my cousin a long time ago . That motor is still running really strong. :D