PDA

View Full Version : 2000 6.5td won't start but fires

fiano
04-26-2017, 16:42
I'm new to this forum I'll discribe as clearly my problem with my truck it a 2000 GMC savanna 3500 turbo diesel 6.5
I bought this truck with the tank removed and the sending unit missing I put a new fuel pump on the rail and because I didn't have a tank I got a clear 1 gallon container put 2 holes in the cap and ran the fuel and return line in the container and after a few try's it started and ran fine !!!
the next day I tried starting it again and sure it fired right up !!!
the day after I though I'd try it again and it fired but then stalled did this 5-6 times them fired up and ran ?
today I tried again fired like it wanted to start then nothing tried again fired then nothing now it won't fire at all I also noticed it has a manifold exhaust leak and puffs smoke from there every time it fires thanks for any help
PS I hear the new pump it runs for about 10 seconds I did notice that it does click on and off 3 times ??? I can't recall it doing this on my first time starting

a5150nut
04-26-2017, 18:56
Welcome to TDP

Have you made sure you don't have trapped air in the fuel filter?

What shape are your batteries in? Has to reach 100 rpm cranking before computer will let engine have fuel.

Fuel shut off solenoid working? Hear click or feel it click when key is turned off and on

fiano
04-27-2017, 02:01
Hello thanks for replying
When I first bought the truck it had 2 new battery's in it though flat I did recharge them and it does crank over quite fast
How do I know it has air trapped in the fuel filter ?
I hear clicking every time the " wait to start " light comes on ?
It's gone from starting first crank to nothing last night
Fuel problem?

a5150nut
04-27-2017, 09:37
Turn the ignition on so the fuel pump comes on
open the bleed screw and see if you have clear fuel coming out the water drain hose.
you can also insert clear fuel line on the return line to see if you have air bubbles in the return fuel

once you reach minimum number of posts you will have access to the search function

fiano
04-27-2017, 11:11
Thank I just find it odd that it ran awesome but slowly every time I started it it go worse and worse till the point it won't even cough and try to start !!

trbankii
04-27-2017, 12:00
Is there a reason you keep “trying” it as opposed to installing a tank and connecting things up properly? Obviously, the setup with a makeshift container of fuel is not optimal.

As 5150 notes, battery condition is an issue. Both the starter and the glow plugs put quite a drain on things. Without actually running the engine long enough to recharge the batteries, they’ll wear down in short order.

The clicking during the wait to start is most likely the glow plugs you’re hearing. If it is frequent clicking, the batteries may be worn down enough to not hold the solenoid. Rapid clicking - or chattering - could be a bad glow plug solenoid.

I’d put the batteries back on the charger and then see how it starts. If you’re back to better starting, low batteries was likely the culprit. Then I’d set about getting things fixed up so you can drive it rather than just “try” it.

fiano
04-27-2017, 13:08
The reason is I'm removing the box and extending the frame 4 ft
I'm building a cab back for it now I need to move it into my back yard where I'm leveling Ann area to set my box on I don't wanna get out there and have it break down that's the reason for not installing the tank yet it right where I'm extend g the frame and also I haven't bought the new pickup yet

trbankii
04-27-2017, 13:12
Ok, as I said, the repeated “trying” is likely draining the batteries. Charge them back up and see how it does then.

fiano
04-27-2017, 16:35
So today I undone the filter shaped thing under the truck while the ignistion on no water just diesel cam out pretty fast I'll charge up the battery's buying a new charger tomorrow on had a tender on it how do I get to the pmd in a cutaway / van could this of failed also where would he t handle for the primer be located ?

Dvldog8793
04-28-2017, 04:48
Howdy
Sounds like you might have an aftermarket fuel filter system.
Can you send us some pictures of the filter and fuel pump?
if it is factory then there will be no manual fuel priming.
The pmd(if it is factory) will located on the injection pump(IP) in the intake valley.
It is a PITA on a regular truck and on your van will be a REAL pita.:mad:
Most of the time owners will leave the original in place and just use an extension cable to remount a new PMD. If this has been done to your truck, just follow the wires from the IP. Its possible that it could be the PMD, but by your description, I would look at the fuel system first.
When it gets good and charged up, if it still doesn't start, let us know if there is smoke from the tail pipe when you are turning it over.

N9Phil
04-28-2017, 05:07
My fist thought is the PMD. I have had then go out in a similar fashion.

trbankii
04-28-2017, 10:49
So today I undone the filter shaped thing under the truck while the ignistion on no water just diesel cam out pretty fast

On the pickups, the filter is located at the back of the engine valley. Not sure about the vans. As DvlDog says, you could have an aftermarket filter system.

PMDs are always suspect, but that you had it running but over time had issues I’d be more inclined to verify the battery condition first.

fiano
04-29-2017, 05:01
On the pickups, the filter is located at the back of the engine valley. Not sure about the vans. As DvlDog says, you could have an aftermarket filter system.

PMDs are always suspect, but that you had it running but over time had issues I’d be more inclined to verify the battery condition first.

she's running !!! checked the filter the primer up on the engine had a little air charged the battery and fired to life !! Now that PMD is located deep in there can I just unplug it and extend the wires to the cab area or the front ? I can't even see the connection?

trbankii
04-29-2017, 06:29
I figured it was a battery issue.

You can get an extension harness from places like Kennedy Diesel: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults3.cfm?Category=1&SubCategory=62&SubCategory2=162

fiano
04-29-2017, 06:56
Went out this morning to start it up and again so t start turning over fast but won't fire I don't get it!!

trbankii
04-29-2017, 08:25
When I first bought the truck it had 2 new battery's in it though flat I did recharge them and it does crank over quite fast

Went out this morning to start it up and again so t start turning over fast but won't fire I don't get it!!

Likely the batteries aren’t in good enough shape. As I say, starting it repeatedly without allowing it to run long enough to recharge is going to wear them down. With the high compression and glow cycles, a diesel takes quite a bit out of a set of batteries each time it starts. If the batteries aren’t up to snuff, it’s going to kill them quickly.

The other issue is battery connections. As the connections corrode - and the cables themselves deteriorate - you get less juice to where it is needed.

a5150nut
04-29-2017, 10:22
Not just the battery end of the cables but the other end too. Pickups had a cluster of ground connections on the back of the right (passenger) head, These to are prone to corroding. A good cleaning and coat with dielectric grease.

Another place to check is all your weather connectors. The electric plug connections. On my 94 I opened them and spayed with electrical contact cleaner then dielectric grease and never had any problems with them.

JohnC
04-29-2017, 10:34
Check it for air again. You may have a leak somewhere letting air back in.

fiano
04-29-2017, 11:07
Howdy
Sounds like you might have an aftermarket fuel filter system.
Can you send us some pictures of the filter and fuel pump?
if it is factory then there will be no manual fuel priming.
The pmd(if it is factory) will located on the injection pump(IP) in the intake valley.
It is a PITA on a regular truck and on your van will be a REAL pita.:mad:
Most of the time owners will leave the original in place and just use an extension cable to remount a new PMD. If this has been done to your truck, just follow the wires from the IP. Its possible that it could be the PMD, but by your description, I would look at the fuel system first.
When it gets good and charged up, if it still doesn't start, let us know if there is smoke from the tail pipe when you are turning it over.

I primed in at the engine compartment near the oil filler it has a cap you take odd and like a true valve I press that

trbankii
04-29-2017, 11:18
Try putting the charger on the battery and then try starting it. I’m almost going to guarantee that will get it running - the batteries are just far enough gone that you don’t quite have the oomph required.

fiano
04-29-2017, 13:07
Got home from work this after noon and went to the truck before I left I put he battery on charge turn the key waited then it started right up I though to my self must be the brand new x2 batteries ran for about 45-60 seconds it shut off in it own ok so I went back turn the key and bam started right up again this time it ran for 20secomds tried again started ran for about 10-15 seconds this time I thought ill time it 6.5 seconds
Then one more time turn the key nothing just turns over??,

trbankii
04-29-2017, 14:49
Ok, so it sounds like you’re fighting two fronts. The charging was definitely an issue since you were able to start it repeatedly on the charger. Now I’d start working to determine if you’ve got air in the system. As 5150 said, "you can also insert clear fuel line on the return line to see if you have air bubbles in the return fuel."