PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Internal Engine Rust?

BKinzey
05-06-2017, 17:47
How much rust can be cleaned up for a rebuild?

My dry storage attempt failed. I couldn't have picked a better spot for a roof leak and once water got in the bag, it kept it there.

Can this be rebuilt or is it scrap?

I've taken pics of the worst of it.

DmaxMaverick
05-06-2017, 19:21
Welcome aboard!

No good news, here. A bit of surface rust can be cleaned up, most of the time. Your pic's are showing a lot of deep pitting and exfoliation, which can affect the integrity of the metallurgy. Some of it may be salvageable, but not enough that I would consider it a reliable build.

phantom309
05-07-2017, 07:30
i,d wash it all down with some coca cola and a wire scrub brush,. then look closely to see whats deep pitted or not,.,. the bottom end looks furry, i might remove the rear main cap and wash it with some acid,. where the oil pump gallery is,.
Go after everything with some hydrochloric acid fairly weak solution,.and wire brush
hose it all off really well with the garden hose,. use an air line to blowit all dry or a hair dryer,. then inspect it,. use some steel wool on the bores with wd40 to see what you've got,. wash everything off good with the hose again and dry and oil,. heads don't look too bad,. a rough head surface makes for a good gasket seal anyway,.

i am assuming you will be smart enough to take necessary steps to protect yourself when handling the acid, right?

BKinzey
05-07-2017, 09:57
Thanks for the replies.

This is part of a mid 80's K5 Blazer project I started in 2006. As life happens I'm not going to finish it. Currently I'm assessing the parts and trying to figure out what to do with them. I'll be listing some of them in the classifieds here.

Nessmuk
05-07-2017, 17:42
Evaporated rust works well. So does electrolysis using a battery charger. There are instructions out there.
The evaporated rust is easier if you can afford it.