PDA

View Full Version : Lots of black smoke and no power 6.5 diesel

Ryanr8
05-10-2017, 23:20
I have a 1995 gmc 1500 So I noticed my truck has been putting out a lot of back smoke when you get on it and feels like it has no boost or power.
List of parts I have replaced and cleaned
Map sensor
Turbo boost sensor
Vaccum pump
New Pdm and relocation kit
Turbo boost selnoid
New fuel filter

The truck has stalled on me before and takes alittle bit to start back up but will start
Also when I'm starting from a stop the truck will kinda jerk alittle bit then after the jerk it will drive just fine

Kennedy
05-12-2017, 07:32
I have a 1995 gmc 1500 So I noticed my truck has been putting out a lot of back smoke when you get on it and feels like it has no boost or power.
List of parts I have replaced and cleaned
Map sensor
Turbo boost sensor
Vaccum pump
New Pdm and relocation kit
Turbo boost selnoid
New fuel filter

The truck has stalled on me before and takes alittle bit to start back up but will start
Also when I'm starting from a stop the truck will kinda jerk alittle bit then after the jerk it will drive just fine

A boost gauge is key to diagnosing these issues. That or a vacuum gauge to test the wastegate control system.

Ryanr8
05-12-2017, 23:06
Where can I tap in to install a boost Guage i have one laying around the house right now

Dvldog8793
05-13-2017, 04:52
Howdy
I tapped into the air horn on top of the manifold. This is the top of the manifold that connects to the turbo.
This can be done pretty easy. loosen the silicon coupling to the turbo, 6 bolts to remove the horn, pick a spot along the edge that has thick material, drill and tap a 1/8 pipe thread. Make sure you don't get metal in the manifold. On most air horns there is a small flat area on the back passenger edge(?) that is a great spot for this, but any place on the air horn or manifold will work.
Good luck!

Ryanr8
05-14-2017, 10:46
The upper manifold all that's on there is my egr and map sensor and iat sensor

Dvldog8793
05-14-2017, 16:06
Right, upper manifold. My wording is different. Any place in the upper is fine. The thicker the better.

gsimpson
05-15-2017, 09:33
Go to Leroydiesel.com and buy the turbo boost both and replace one the the 2 center bolts on the plenum and then attach the boost gauge to that. Turbo boost bolt is 30 bucks and no drilling and tapping required.

Kennedy
05-15-2017, 12:01
Dril and tap the round part of the upper intake plenum with the port facing rearward. Less strain and good solid mounting point.

Shown in one of my pics here:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/airboxmods.cfm