PDA

View Full Version : 95 6.5 up and quit

Bill Volcko
11-10-2003, 14:52
I'm driving a k-2500 95 6.5 w/160k+ new to me at 130k. Tonight driving home from work she started skipping occasionally, a few minutes later it skipped more frequently then finally quit. Had to have a buddy tow me home. I lossened fuel cap and cranked engine, pure fuel came out no water. Loosened vent on fuel filter and cranked engine lots of fuel came out. After I got it home it would run in the driveway for several seconds but then quit. It quits immediately if you give it some throttle. I hate to take it to a shop. All the shops around here automaticaly say "injector pump needs replacing". Two months ago I talked to a shop and they wanted to replace pump but after reading on this site I found my problem was a bad/old EGR valve and simply disconnected and pluged vac line to EGR = problem fixed. So I hate to go to a shop. Any hints or tips from the experts? Thanks, BV volcko@juno.com

HowieE
11-10-2003, 16:10
It sound just like my failure of last weekend. I had a spare FSD with me and swapped it out on the road. Then towed the trailer home without an event. Get a spare FSD from Stanadyne, detach the cable from the one mounted on the pump and start the truck. If it runs, and I think it will, don't leave it in the test mode for long as the FSD will heat up from the 2 driver transistors. But if it runs you will at least know what your problem is and you can deside how you want to remote heat sink the FSD an mount it.

Barry Nave
11-10-2003, 16:15
A FSD cooler is a wise choice on our diesel.

[ 11-10-2003, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

JohnC
11-10-2003, 17:41
First thing to do is check the computer for fault codes. Instructions on how to do it yourself are available on the DP as well as the Kennedy Diesel web site. Let us know what you find and then we can be more helpfull...

cesguz
11-10-2003, 23:52
Hi Bill Volcko, could be your FSD/PMD solenoid, a few weeks ago I got a similar problem, I replace this solenoid and my truck bagan running good!!

HowieE
11-11-2003, 06:40
Cesguz
You say you replaced the "selinoid" and not the "Driver".
How about somemore information on what you did? Most often when we see these comments about stalling and studering the expected repair is the FSD itself. How do you explain intermittance from the selinoid? I would assume the selinoid would fail open and thus be dead.

Bill Volcko
11-12-2003, 15:35
Originally posted by JohnC:
First thing to do is check the computer for fault codes. Instructions on how to do it yourself are available on the DP as well as the Kennedy Diesel web site. Let us know what you find and then we can be more helpfull... No codes are set. This morning, it started right up and I drove up and down the driveway. I'm reluctant to take it out on the road to test drive it. Sounds like the FSD is the problem. Now I have to figure out where to get one (FSD)
Thanks to all who replied. I'll keep you posted.
BV

patrick m.
11-12-2003, 16:47
the 65 models have trouble with the ignition switch. I know, i have a 95 as well.
the FSD is the most likely culprit sometimes you can determine if the problem is the ign switch by watching the warning lights and gauges in the cluster. if you turn the ignition on, all of the warn lights should come on every time. check them out during the next episode.

goodmonkey
11-12-2003, 16:53
If it will start up then sputter out, is there a possibility that it could be the oil pressure sensor giving power to the lift pump? The PCM would allow the pump to run at startup, but the oil pressure switch would take over afterwards. I'd look into that too. Sorry can't afford the information tonight.

Bill Volcko
11-20-2003, 10:57
Well, I finally found a FSD ...they are very rare in upstae ny. Got it from a GM dealer. Waswondering if I should have gotten a new harness to go with it? Also, I've read about 'thermal transfer compound' on this list. I asked the parts counter guy and he said there was none listed for this part. He said the mechanics just screw it on and go... How true?

Thanks for the help,
BV