PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Duramax Shop In LA area

HueyC2
08-09-2017, 09:18
I'm looking for an excellent Duramax repair shop in the greater LA area.
My '06 LBZ is overheating when I pull my 5th wheel trailer up a steep grade. At all other times every thing is fine. I have replaced the (2) thermostats, the coolant tank cap
and have bled the system. It's looking like head gasket time!
If Kennedy Diesel was closer, I would be there in a heartbeat.
Thanks

Kennedy
08-10-2017, 06:38
Please define "overheating"

If you have any sort of miles I would pull the radiator and wash the air side out as well as the rest of the cooling stack for starters. Then try fan clutch, belt, pulleys etc.

gary_lucas
08-10-2017, 21:37
I had a similar problem. It eventually turned into a head gaskets issue.

The original overheat was definitely crud in the air side of the radiator.

As kennedy suggested... Take the shroud off the cooling stack... Pull the stack if you're not sure.

Don't mess with it, take the hit and pull the radiator... Powerwash the air side.

I tried delaying it and I think that contributed to a very, very large repair bill.

HueyC2
08-11-2017, 20:12
Hi Kennedy
When I pull my 5th Wheel, GVWR 14K, everything is fine until I come to a steep hill. I will shift down and run at 2500 to 3500 RPM. The temp gauge will go up to a little past 210 deg. and the fan will come on. The temp will drop to normal, but my right side mirror will be wet from the coolant that has been forced out of the plastic tank. Even after sitting overnight, when you remove the cap from the coolant tank, there will be pressure that will cause the coolant to come out under the cap. If you maintain hand pressure you can reduce the pressure slowly, thus no coolant expelled.

Thanks for you reply.