PDA

View Full Version : Check those harmonic dampers!!

JeepSJ
08-25-2017, 10:49
The duallytruck had developed a bit of a higher-rpm vibration. Fan clutch was failing and I figured they were related as the fan had a lot of play. So get a new fan clutch and start the job. Crawl underneath to unbolt the fan shroud and I notice that the outer ring of the balancer is resting against the back of the lower pulley.

:eek:

So I pull all the belts and unbolted the lower pulley and the outer ring slid right off.

http://i.imgur.com/Gb3sBuW.jpg?1

I've heard about that happening but have never seen one actually come apart. Inner, outer and what is left of the rubber. Amazing how smooth that 454 is with a new balancer. I am just VERY glad that the pulley was a larger diameter than the ring. I could not imagine what a chunk of iron that size could have done had it come off on the freeway.

Now that I think about it, I should check the timing also...there is no telling how long it has been loose.

Robyn
08-26-2017, 06:38
Been many a 6.5 that have died an untimely death due to balancer failure.

The serp pulley also has a rubber isolate'r that kills the belt vibrations common to the diesel.

The isolate'r has a bearing assembly and a metal spider to support the pulley, and when the rubber breaks its bond with the internal ring they hammer like crazy and will trash a crank in sort order.

I have seen balance'r rings get loose, IT AIN'T PRETTY :eek:

When it happens at freeway speed the driver usually needs a change of shorts :eek::eek::(

Good pix