PDA

View Full Version : Transfer case grinds coming out of 4 low?

Big Red Suburban
11-10-2003, 15:44
Tried out the low range for the first time yesterday, and it grinds when I try to take it out of 4 low.... Tried two different times while stopped with transmission in neutral. Had to shutoff the truck, shift to 2 high, and then start it back up.

Do I have a synchro out? Or do I need to put it in park when shifting the T-case? I haven't ever had to do that with anything else I've owned.

JohnC
11-10-2003, 17:30
Nope, no synchro. There's 2 problems. When you pull it out of low into neutral, the friction in the (auto)trans will spin it up even if it(trans) is in neutral. Park will prevent this, but then it's hard to get the gears to mesh. I think the recommended procedure is to move it smartly through neutral into high, but I always shut the engine off and shift it in neutral with my foot off the brakes, or a very slow roll if on a grade. YMMV

DamienJ
11-11-2003, 06:28
You are suppose to fly through neutral into 2 high but after you have shifted your tranny into neutral also. Not also going to be smooth but I find this way(I had the little or not grinding at all) Do not go over like 10mph to do this. My first time was the same way. Look in your truck manual it's says the same thing that I just told you only more steps.

rjschoolcraft
11-11-2003, 13:07
I always make the shift with the truck completely stopped in neutral. I give it a good yank and usually go all the way to 4-high, then back to 2-high. There is sometimes a little grind, but usually not. The comment about drag in the auto trans is correct. The owner's manual says to be rolling slowly, I don't like that method myself.

Phil Holmen
11-11-2003, 14:11
I am with ronniejoe... a quick shift while stopped in neutral from 4lo to 4 hi then back to 2 hi... no grind in my truck...I will usually go back and forth 10 to 12 feet to ensure the front axle disenagees also...

JoeyD
11-11-2003, 17:25
When shifting in and out of low you should be rolling 1-3mph and it will slide in and out like butter.

Big Red Suburban
11-12-2003, 06:54
Thanks for the replies...

Someone mentioned they go back and forth 10 feet or so to ensure the front axle disengages. Does this mean the 4x4 light going out on my floor does not necessarily mean the front axle disengaged?

rjschoolcraft
11-12-2003, 06:58
Right. The switch at the transfer case will turn it off. It takes both switches in the contact position, the one on the transfer case and the one on the front differential, to make the light come on. When I shift out of 4-hi on the road, a sudden deceleration to unload the gears will usually allow it to fully disengage. I've never had a problem with disengagement from 4-low.