PDA

View Full Version : Bad injector(s)?

Steve O.
08-07-2003, 22:39
It was suggested to me today that the hellacious noise I heard from under my truck's hood as it died on the highway may be a bad injector. (truck on has 114K on it) I am still learning about diesels, and would be surprised if a bad injector could make so much mechanical noise, but two guys I trust mentioned it to me today. Of course, only way to know for sure is to bring it in to a shop, which I am doing tomorrow.

Anyone have any experience regarding injectors that they can fill me in on, especially about cost and advice about replacing them, just so I am better informed when it goes into the shop? Hopefully this is all it is and not something on the bottom end of the engine.

Thanks.

More Power
08-08-2003, 11:29
To eliminate the possibility of an injector producing bad sounds, loosen one injector fuel line fitting at a time while the engine is running. This is sorta like pulling spark plug wires to find a dead plug.

When a fuel line is loosened, that cylinder won't fire. If a leaking injector is producing bad mechanical sounds, it'll stop when it's not getting fuel. Some fuel will leak out around the loosened fitting. Not a big deal.

MP