PDA

View Full Version : Napa Lifetime Alternator

CareyWeber
02-11-2005, 14:34
Well I lost another one today this replacement will be number five. :mad:

This is the first alternator that has not quit charging though the front bearing went this time.

Carey

arrowheadracing
02-11-2005, 15:24
Napa usually has decent parts. But I ve found sometimes you have to pay the big dollars and get genuine GM parts. I bought the best starters auto parts guys had for my TA race car. None of them lasted more then 3 months. With heat shields and wrap. I spent close to $400 for a gm one, and had it on 2 other cars and still have it on the shelf, probably close to 10 years. Still tight and reliable. You get what you pay for sometimes. Maybe a letter to Napa headquarters ?? Is everything else in good shape, no out of alignment belt or what not ?

Good luck
Todd

CareyWeber
02-11-2005, 17:58
Originally posted by arrowheadracing:
Is everything else in good shape, no out of alignment belt or what not ?

Good luck
Todd Todd,

All the other failures were the alternators failing to charge. This one has a bad bearing, but it was still charging good. The belt runs true, but the bearing is so shot that the fan is hitting the case.

I installed the new one and all is fine again.

Carey

damork
02-11-2005, 18:17
After several problems with Napa electrical products & water pumps I gave up. Although their lifetime warranty items are honored, I simply don't like having to excersise the option in less than a year.

I have two vehicles with Duralast Gold alternators from Autozone with lifetime warranties and they are providing the most stable voltage I've seen without going to a real expensive aftermarket model.

rjwest
02-12-2005, 03:49
This is a modern trend in big business:

QUALITY CONTROL HAS BEEN MOVED TO THE USER.....

I Don't think any other parts supplier's
are any better, Some use the same rebuilders as NAPA. I even noticed that some of the GM shops are using NON-GM parts and are getting them from the local Discont stores ( I'm sure you paying the GM price though)

I have found rebuilds of the Original ( from a could shop ) to be more reliable, and a little cheaper......and you know the part will fit....

radrecon69
02-12-2005, 17:39
I use the Autozone Duralast on my Diesel and have had very few problems heck they even replaced one while I was in Germany and they sent it to me postage free and paid me back for shipping the broken back. Also the fact I don't have to keep the reciept is a plus I just need to remember what phone # it was under. My Suburban has almost all lifetime warrenty items on it including front end parts and the shock

Rick smile.gif

Marty Lau
02-14-2005, 09:37
Carey;
I had my Alternator rebuilt by a local shot and they put a "larger" bearing in it to keep it from going out. The only problem it rubbed against the the mount and had grooved it and went out.
What I did is take my air die grinder and ground a spot out so the bearing would not it that mount.

Cowracer
02-14-2005, 10:55
I hear ya pal.

I had the ear snap off a 3-day old alternator. It chucked a $30 drive belt and left me stranded on a holiday.

Sure, they honored their 'lifetime warranty' but I was still out $$$. :mad:

I bet their quality control would perk up if'n they had to re-imburese for labor required to change their POS parts. :rolleyes:

Tim

CareyWeber
02-14-2005, 14:22
Well I looked at it much closer when I returned it to get my money back, and I don't think the bearing failed I think the shaft bent.

How would that happenn???

Could the alternator got stuck???

I saw a Chevy 1500 4.3 that the engine would not turn over because the the alternator was stuck.

Carey

Bobbie Martin
02-15-2005, 14:50
I had a NAPA "Lifetime" alternator for a while. Never got a full year out of one. They are good about exchanging them, and they gave me a full refund after several years when I told them I was tired of changing them out. I ended up having an alternator built to my specs at an auto electric shop. This is the best route if you are keeping the truck. Keep in mind they are use to dealing with customers that want it cheap, so you have to tell them you want the best they can do and you will pay whatever it cost. There are different sized bearings that can be installed in the housings and the parts house alternators usually have the cheapest components on them. If you have one built with all the heavy duty parts (bearings, housings, diodes, etc.) its better, but still I had some problems. I finally have an alternator I'm happy with, but I have a spare I bought at Pep Boys on the shelf and I carry it with me on trips. One more thing, I recommend you get a cast pulley instead of the pressed steel one. The cast ones give much less problems. I've had the pressed steel pulleys come loose several times.

a5150nut
02-15-2005, 19:39
I've had the pressed steel pulleys come loose several times. I lost one at 1100 miles on a Napa rebuilt. It was out sorced and the store had changed owners when I took it back. They looked at it and said "aint one of ours!". Then I pulled out the reciept. Walked out with a new alternator.