PDA

View Full Version : dealer flattened my tires

jonflies
11-10-2003, 16:09
I have my suburban in the shop for the IP replacement (see other posts) and noticed that they flattened the front tires. The service writer said they do it all the time to make it easier for the guys to work in the engine compartment. Is it really that common? Wouldn't that tend to damage the tires?

DmaxMaverick
11-10-2003, 16:32
I know lots of shops that do that, including my regular shop. Shouldn't be a problem as long as they are not letting all the air out to the point the wheel rests on the sidewall.

If it still bothers you, find a shop with taller mechanics.

Barry Nave
11-10-2003, 16:35
Seem like it would be hard on the side wall's.
I would not go for it.
Are we talking flat-flat or real low psi?

jonflies
11-10-2003, 19:13
I was standing at the service writer's area, but they looked completely flat. I'm going to visit again tomorrow with the FSD cooler article, and verify how flat.

fogg65td
11-11-2003, 10:48
I learned that trick from my grandfather that started wrenchin back in the 40's. I have been doin it to mine for years and see it every day in my shop and don't ever recall having a problem with the tires. i let mine get right flat, as in takin the core out of the valve stem. as long as they are not rolling the truck i see no problems in letting the air out of the tires. just my $.02