PDA

View Full Version : Stalling and cranky t-case

Jolie
11-11-2003, 18:05
Here we go again, I'm starting to think this truck needs to find a mechanic to buy it. 1994 Chevy K3500, reg cab, 6.5L TD, manual trans 4x4, 150k.

We had the high/low shift fork replaced a week ago and when we picked the truck up the 4WD light was flickering. This truck NEVER had a problem with 4WD until the shift fork broke. Now it won't stay in 4WD at low speeds (pops in and out), but will stay in for the most part at higher speeds. The shop told us the truck had the old style 4WD actuator and that was the problem, so we replaced it with the new electric actuator. Still having the same problem. Any ideas? I'm thinking its either the switch at the top of the t-case or the shop screwed the t-case up.

Now the next new problem, on start up the truck is stalling, it will restart but has to be reved since it seems to not have rpms until after its reved. Once its restarted and reved its fine and acts like nothing happened. IP, lift pump, and fuel filter were replaced *maybe* 500 miles ago.

Its headed back to the shop Friday.

BTW, for anyone who's in Alaska, this truck is for sale at well below book (book is $8150, asking $6500 obo). Over $5000 in recent mechanical work done to it.

Picking up a 1999 Dodge Ram 3500 V10 tomorrow in Anchorage. Enough of the Chevy stuff, its running us into the poor house.

GMCfourX4
11-12-2003, 09:23
Sounds like the shop screwed up the T-case on you when they rebuilt it, or maybe didn't setup the shifter correctly when re-installing it.
As for the stalling, try unplugging the coolant temp sensor before you start it, maybe the engine isn't getting enough cold advance (could be a faulty CTS) Sorry to hear you are giving up on the truck, I hope the Dodge treats you well.

-Chris

Jolie
11-13-2003, 08:38
Its headed back to the shop today, they are going to try to figure out why the 4WD isn't working.

I would ask them about the stalling, but the guy to ask isn't there at the moment, his wife just had a baby.

As for giving up on it, the thing is driving us straight to the poor house. We are actually a little sad and are still agonizing over the decision. We both love that truck, but we couldn't trust it, it didn't want to live a life as a logging truck I guess. If nobody wants it I'll keep it to haul horse feed and whatever else I might need a pickup truck for since hubby is always gone with his truck.

We've owned it 6 months, put over $5k in repairs into it, and have driven it a whole 3,000 miles.

twaddle
11-14-2003, 14:28
The "first thing" stalling may be the oil pressure switch which powers the fuel pump.

Be careful when checking it as they can give a 12.5-13 volt reading down at the pump but have next to no amps (no power).

Good luck

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland