PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 to turbo motorhome project

brutherb
10-30-2017, 15:52
Hi everyone new to the forum. I picked up a 85 triple e regency motor home with a 6.2 for super cheap (40,000 kms). I also have a 95 3500 4x4 6.5 turbo truck. I want to covert the motorhome to turbo and 4x4 as i want to do some overlanding type adventures.

I have a dodge ram intercooler and holeset hx35 from a 5.9, ordering the down pipe from pt wiring solutions. i dont believe i will have the a/c air box issues, but has anyone tried this and any recommendations. I was going to go with the banks setup but it is like $3000, does it flow or work much better than the stock 6.5 setup.

i know the 6.2 isn't normally intercooled will it improve performance and economy

Yukon6.2
10-31-2017, 08:41
Hi brutherb
Looking forward to pic's of your project. Sounds like you will have a cool RV when done.
Getting a turbo under the doghouse in a van will be a pain.Some people have remote mounted turbos to deal with lack of space.
I am assuming it has the van front end on the RV.I would look for a 2000 GM van that may have come stock with a turbo,or the Hummer turbo which mounts in the rear.
Thomas

Dvldog8793
11-17-2017, 05:31
Howdy
I tried to find a pic of what that rig looks like, couldnt. But it sounds like it is a van chasis? If so, it will be difficult to mount a turbo with any type of "normal" setup. The best route is stated above, find/build a hummer or stock van turbo set up, a 6.5 will work just fine. They mounted the turbo in the rear center of the intake valley. These are not hard to find as many small buses and transit vehicles had that setup.
If you REALLY want to fab things up yourself and use other parts, there was a member a long time ago that did the remote mounted turbo behind the motor down under the floor boards. You will lose allot of exhaust input that spins up the turbo.
On the subject of intercooling....intercooling in general doesn't give you a big boost in power, but it does allow you to run a little higher boost with a cooler air charge. It is safer for your engine and all turbo engines like a cooler aircharge. The extra plumbing will decrease your boost level. It might be easier to use water injection, check that out.
Overall, IMHO, make sure you have a complete set of gauges and then start tuning your engine for boost, fuel and egt based on a loaded rig.

Good luck! Hope this helps!!!