PDA

View Full Version : Engine temperature

MM9135
08-08-2003, 20:12
I am attempting to learn how this '96 GMC 6.5 should perform. I have two questions. What is the normal engine temp suppose to be? My gauge when running on level ground reads about 160-170 degrees. For a gas engine that's pretty cool. Also, how can I tell with out adding gages etc if the turbo is working? Sounds, responsiveness etc.?
Thanks

ucdavis
08-08-2003, 20:37
160-170 is probably not accurate. Thermostat (if stock) is 190-195. Stock guage has 110 degrees on left side and 50 on right, so top part of scale to left of 210 is less degrees per amount of angle than lower left portion of scale (needle swing isn't linear, which is same for most temp guages.
"normal" temp is highly dependent on conditions of load, grade (up, flat, down) and ambient temp. The big key is where your fan clutch is kicking in (big roar, you'll notice it) and how well that cools engine down.
Watch posts here on temps, coolant, EGT, overheating, etc. for a while. Lots of discussion of temperature on this page, cuz its the #1 killer of engines.
If you want to get the most out of your rig w/out killing it prematurely, get EGT and boost guages. Coupla hundred bucks for both, but you'll learn the boost/EGT/temp behavior of your setup & stay out of trouble if you mind same.
Welcome.

MM9135
08-08-2003, 22:13
Thanks for the input. My gauge if I recall correctly is 210 just right of center. It is running a tick or two to the right of the 150 number. I believe that is right.

I was thinking that a diesel was like a gas engine and would not be as efficent if the temp is low.

I pulled a long hill the other day with it and dropped it down in 3rd to eliminate the OD and to maintain speed up this grade. The temp slowly rose to about 200 and when I topped the hill it went back down around 160 very soon. This engine has 97,000 on it and I am picking it a part to get every thing right before I put it into service. I have seen thermostats in gas engines do the same thing with age.