PDA

View Full Version : Tired Suspension? Quick Fix

JMY19
08-08-2003, 21:21
The only side effect I have found to owning a diesel is that while the engines last for a long time, the rest of the truck does not. At 175,000 miles my truck bounced for miles after hitting a small bump (This is with brand new bilsteins). After finally getting fed up with passengers complaining of moition sickness I sought out a fix. I was reading about torsion bar adjustments and how turning them clockwise would firm up your suspension. So I figured I would try it out. I jacked my truck up so the front wheels were off the ground and went back to the rear of the torsion bar. With an 18 mm socket I turned both sides an even 4 turns (The bolt is located in between the support rail for the torsion bar). After a going down the same bumpy roads that made me loose my breakfast every morning for the past year I now realized I hardly noticed the bumps. Its like I have a brand new suspension. Ill keep you guys posted on how this turns out after a couple thousand miles, but so far so good. I will be having the alignment checked once monday roles around, and now Ill have to do some rear add a leafs seeing as the other side effect is increased ride height (a total of an inch and half!) Hope this tid bit saves you many meals and braings back that nice chevy ride.

Jason

MtnHiCO
08-09-2003, 06:28
So Jason, you have a better ride but your front end is a 1 1/2" higher then the rear?? :eek: MTNHICO

'94 2500HD 4x4 BD chip BD 4" exhaust Amsoil filter/box mods Bilsteins 152,000 miles

nopower65
08-09-2003, 07:39
Any input on how to soften up the ride? My truck has over 200k miles, and put a set of Bilsteins on- now it rides like a damn truck (it's a 95 Suburban). I thought the Bilsteins would smooth it out-- but they made it more hrash. Any input would be most welcome.

JMY19
08-09-2003, 09:45
I no longer have my front end dipping down severely while braking. I can now turn without feeling like the thing will topple. I am ordering 2 in lift blocks for the rear ($20) to even things out. But yes I am much much happier with the ride quality.

Nopower65.........It is a truck....buy a toyota

MtnHiCO
08-09-2003, 11:08
Jason, I've been looking into lifting my truck acouple of inches, this might be the way? Will you have to go to bigger shocks in back with the 2" blocks your using, or does this work stock? MTNHICO

G. Gearloose
08-09-2003, 11:18
2" block OR addaleaf can get away with stock shocks.
WIth BOTH, you need longer shocks.
An Addaleaf is very effective at curing the wallowing side-side in the 1/2-tons. THe longer the added leaf, the better the ride. ProComp has them in three sizes, I used the 40", or therabouts.

JMY19
08-10-2003, 20:24
Thanks for the info gearloose I had the same question. So you recomend add a leafs over blocks. I agree the added firmness back there would help a lot. I love the ride of my truck now though. At parking lot speeds the "damn thing rides like a truck". Its a beautiful thing.