PDA

View Full Version : Shop notes

BigMikeO
11-12-2003, 08:25
Well I took My truck into the shop yesterday for an oil leak i just could not find. It turns out there was a crack in the oil line that feeds the turbo. it was very small and it would spray out on exceleration hitting the engine and showing an oil leak where it actually wasn't it cost me $210 for labor and Parts, they had to have a custom hose fabricated to replace it.

Also I asked them about my hard starting problem. I already changed the fuel filter which was black but that didn't help. I am VERY new to diesels so I don't really know where anything is on that engine. anyway, the problems is that I am only running on 4 glow plugs, I should say that only 4 glow plugs still have wires attached, I can only assume those are still functioning.

I just ordered a set of the fast heat glow plugs from kennedy diesel. Are there any hints on getting glow plugs out. I hear they can be a nightmare. Also the wires that attach to the glow plugs look like they are falling apart. are they just simple wires that I can replace or would I need to order a whole new wiring harness?

Thanks for reading my babbel :D ,
Mike

turbovair
11-12-2003, 11:31
Glow plugs are easy. Just get the correct deep socket, six point preferred. On the passenger side, remove the wheel,the rubber splash gaurd and you can get to "hard ones" thru the wheel well.They usually come out without much difficulty. I would buy a glow plug harness(s) if available for reliability.

tom.mcinerney
11-12-2003, 11:41
Turbovair's suggestion of harness probably good. Just yesterday i noticed that the glo plug wires insulation on my '95 seem to be high heat silicone rubber, gray with printing "fusible link ~~mm" don't recall thickness. I think that means that there's a fusible link at output glo controller{one each bank of 4} and each wire is also fusible. Two central (#4&6) cylinders under turbo have special tubular heat shields and special extension wires, with higher heat Teflon insulation for them.

[ 11-12-2003, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: tom mac 95 ]

slagona
11-12-2003, 13:12
I've found the easiest way to get at the glow plug for #8 (passenger side - closest to fire wall - or is that #7...) is from underneath the truck. All the others on the passenger side are fairly easy to get at through the wheel well. Allow an 1.5 hours if everything goes smoothly - otherwise......