PDA

View Full Version : Update on our Colorado and towing with it

cowboywildbill
12-20-2017, 21:23
The more we drive it the more we want to drive it. It is the most awesome mid sized truck we have ever owned, and we have had a few. Just hope we don't put over a hundred thousand miles on it before we can pay it off LOL.
We now have over 10,000 miles on it. Our true average mpg mostly town and city and occasional highway I-4 Florida, which isn't true highway driving always traffic and slow downs and construction. We have averaged at least 580 miles per tank full of fuel, although not unusual to see over 600 miles from a tankful. The computer say's 26.7 mpg "for real" When I stop somewhere I don't sit and idle " like parked at the store or waiting for my wife to run in and shop"
I did hand calculations about three times and the computer mpg is actually about 3 or 4 tenths less than our actual mpg. That was surprising because on other vehicles it's usually the other way around.
Not one minute of trouble out of it. Except for all of the questions I get, and I have to show them the computer mpg readout for them to believe me.
When we do actually get on the highway and cruise at 70 or 75 mph, we get over 30 mpg with no problem. Highest I have seen is 36 mpg on a 27 mile stretch of highway calm wind Florida driving no traffic. " Unusual for sure in Florida"
We have towed a large pop up camper empty weight "1800 lbs loaded weight 2300 lbs.
And about another 750 lbs in the bed and cab of the truck including my wife and I and two mutts.
Our average towing mpg is 25.7. "for real" It can do a little better on low traffic roads at 55 to 65 mph, and we have seen 28. 8 for around 10 miles when we brought it home empty when we bought it.
I know it isn't a real heavy camper and not much wind drag being low profile. We really don't know that we are pulling anything it is amazing and handles like nothing is hooked to it. "No sway or tug" or squat We have to look back to make sure the trailer is still back there. LOL
The only thing really noticed is wide open throttle acceleration from a dead stop or passing at highway speeds. Dead start it still jumps right up and pulls like a little freight train it just does not accelerate quite as fast as not towing, but it isn't a dog by any means.
Passing at 50 mph it gets up way way better than I would have expected.
Our trailer doesn't have brakes on it, which is surprising, but it stops it with no problem. We even had to get down hard on the brakes on the highway and it had no problem stopping it safely.
We used the tow haul mode but really didn't have to use the tow haul mode but was curious. The exhaust brake works well, it doesn't slow you down like a 6.6 D-max would, but after all it is only a baby at 2.8 .
I let the exhaust brake do all the stopping rolling from 45 or 50 mph up to traffic lights and it took us down to about 25 mph very well.
We didn't have any real hills to speak of , so I can't evaluate how well the exhaust brake would hold the speed down on a real steep grade.
One thing that would be nice would be extendable type towing mirrors like the ones that come on a 2500/3500 GMC or Chevy. The stock mirrors are OK, but it would be nice to have a wider view back around the trailer. I am going to check and see if the larger truck's mirrors have the same footprint as the Colorado, if so that may be what I'll do in the future. If anyone knows if they will fit please chime in.
We ran into someone with a ZR-2 Colorado Duramax and the worst mpg they have seen is 23.8. They said they average about 25 mpg overall. And best highway was 28.7 mpg. They only had 3,000 miles on it and loved it. They hadn't towed with theirs yet. The ZR-2 is a lifted up truck with no spoilers and has front and rear full locking differentials. Although the diff's would not affect mpg, they are the same ratios as the Z-71 or LT models far as I know. So the drag would explain the mpg difference being lifted, mostly highway drag being a factor.
I hear that with a tune these 2.8 diesel trucks will flat out fly, ripping a rear diff out isn't a problem when souped up ,so I'm told. LOL.
And with a highway tune they can get even better mpg's, but I like having a warranty, so our's will stay bone stock for now at least.
Sorry to be long winded but that's the scoop on it so far.
We wish everyone a Merry Christmas or Happy Hanukkah and a Happy New Year.
God Bless and thanks to all of our First Responders and our Veterans
and God Bless our Country .

a5150nut
12-21-2017, 20:41
Interesting read Cowboy. Thanks for putting it up.

Hope you and yours have a Merry Christmas too.

cowboywildbill
12-21-2017, 21:46
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you and your family also.

convert2diesel
12-22-2017, 11:39
I would be very interested to hear about how this truck would perform with max weight behind it. Going to need a good highway commuter in the near future and if I could get the MPG empty and it could pull my RV (6,000 lbs. all up) that would allow me to stick with one vehicle. Otherwise I would need to keep the current chev 1500 just for trailer duty and the occasional trip to the hardware store.

The new Dodge 1500 with the VM Moterie diesel is also in the cards, but significantly more pricy then the Colorado.

Complements of the Season to all and a Happy New Year.

Bill

cowboywildbill
12-22-2017, 21:22
The Dodge doesn't get much better mpg than a full sized 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel truck does from what I was told, and the Nissan Titan with the cummins only averages 14 mpg not towing based on a test run article on it. But they are actually full size 1/2 ton trucks aren't they ? They do have more hp and torque but it's a trade off. And cost more $

convert2diesel
12-22-2017, 23:49
The Dodge doesn't get much better mpg than a full sized 3/4 or 1 ton Diesel truck does from what I was told, and the Nissan Titan with the cummins only averages 14 mpg not towing based on a test run article on it. But they are actually full size 1/2 ton trucks aren't they ? They do have more hp and torque but it's a trade off. And cost more $

One of my business partners down in southern Ontario has a Dodge crewcab and is more then happy with the MPG. With 5,000 lb. utility trailer out back he is still getting in the low 20s and over 30MPG on the highway empty. He couldn't be happier.

Traded in the identical truck with the Hemi. Gave up tracking the mileage but was filling the gasser up 2 or 3 times a week. Now he fills up the tank on Fridays and forgets it for the rest of the week.

Granted he shelled out over 50K for the truck but he is still happy.

I am very impressed with the engine. Too bad its pulling a Dodge :eek:

Bill

cowboywildbill
12-23-2017, 10:42
Yeah we have owned a 97 Dodge, not a fan of them. I did like the cummins though.
I was talking to a guy at the pump with a new Dodge eco diesel or whatever it's called and he wasn't happy with his mpg. Said he owned a 2500 Dodge also and that the smaller truck only got about 5 to 7 mpg better than that one. ?
Who knows. I am surprised about what I read on the Nisan, but it is a bigger heavier and more powerful truck than the Colorado/ Canyon. I still would think it would get way way better mpg than was stated.
I guess the Dodge gets better mpg than the Nisan with the diesel, but it doesn't make sense.
I would think the Nisan would be a better truck than the Dodge though.
Or I guess I should say Ram, since they don't call them a Dodge anymore.
Gee are you guy's still driving up there ? I would think you would have to be using the dog sleds or snowmobiles, Arctic Cat's by now. LOL It's 73 degrees here now and that's not Celsius. LOL
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

convert2diesel
12-23-2017, 21:43
Gee are you guy's still driving up there ? I would think you would have to be using the dog sleds or snowmobiles, Arctic Cat's by now. LOL It's 73 degrees here now and that's not Celsius. LOL
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

We are taking advantage of a brand new technology called snow tires. Lets us drive even with over 4 inches of snow on the ground.:D This is actually the first white Christmas we have had in close to 10 years. 3 significant falls so far this year and are expecting another 10 inches on Christmas day. Makes you want to burn an effigy of Bing Crosby. As far as the temps are concerned, just take yours and subtract about 73 degrees.

Actually have been fighting with an ancient Fisher snow plow we have attached to our equally ancient 88 GMC with a 6.2 (still running after 30 years). The control plug (9pin) has actually worn out and makes the plow do funky things. Just priced out the plugs only and the combined price is more than the value of the truck and plow combined. Sad state of affairs when the value of your truck is directly proportional to how full the fuel tanks is.

Again, all the best of the season and a happy and prosperous New Year to all.

Bill

cowboywildbill
12-24-2017, 20:53
We love snow ! On a postcard that is LOL
Seen and moved all the snow I ever wanted to while living in The Peoples Republic of Maryland. We were at the foot of the Catoctin Mountains. Had a little Ranch there. We could have anything from a mild winter with little or or almost no snow to all out blizzard's.
It's hard work trying to keep cattle and horses fed and watered in blizzard conditions. And then to have some of them calve in a blizzard. But I wouldn't trade those experiences for anything, just don't want to have to deal with it anymore. Miss the life though !
I'll take the heat of summer down here to just to avoid the winters back there.
You should come down here in the winter. I didn't think there was anyone still left up in Canada this time of year. Because they're all down here Ha Ha LOL.
Stay safe and warm . Happy New Year to all

convert2diesel
12-24-2017, 21:41
Where exactly is "down here"? We tend to go south the last 3 weeks in April. That way I can pretty well tell you the exact date for the end of winter, at least for us. 2 years ago, my brother had cut the lawn twice while we were away. Love leaving in the snow and coming back to Spring.

Happy New Year to all.

Bill

trbankii
12-25-2017, 07:49

I’m curious to see how the Cummins R2.8 crate engine compares to the Duramax 2.8. Of course, it will be a harder comparison since people are putting them into many different things - Jeeps, Toyota pickups, etc - all with different gearing and other setups.

cowboywildbill
12-25-2017, 10:10
Would be an interesting read on comparing those two diesels. Here is what I found Cummins R 2.8 crate engine has 161 hp and 267 ft pound of torque An M.S.R.P. of $8,999. "Ouch" And Cummins only offers a 90 day warranty on their engine and components.
Duramax 2.8 has 181 hp and 369 ft pound of torque. That surprised me.

trbankii
12-25-2017, 16:50
FourWheeler magazine has been doing a series of articles on the R2.8 including one to swap it into a Jeep (http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1710-installing-the-newest-nicest-cummins-r2-8-turbo-diesel-in-oldest-ugliest-jeep/) and a roadtrip with several R2.8 powered vehicles (http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1710-beta-testing-the-r2-8-diesel-with-cummins/). Unfortunately, they’re not reporting any “numbers” information yet other than some “guestimated” mileage numbers in the mid-twenties.

cowboywildbill
12-25-2017, 16:59
Where exactly is "down here"? We tend to go south the last 3 weeks in April. That way I can pretty well tell you the exact date for the end of winter, at least for us. 2 years ago, my brother had cut the lawn twice while we were away. Love leaving in the snow and coming back to Spring.

Happy New Year to all.

Bill

We are in Sunny Central Florida. And did you say you had three weeks of summer ? I thought it was only two weeks. LOL

cowboywildbill
12-26-2017, 10:02
FourWheeler magazine has been doing a series of articles on the R2.8 including one to swap it into a Jeep (http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/engine/1710-installing-the-newest-nicest-cummins-r2-8-turbo-diesel-in-oldest-ugliest-jeep/) and a roadtrip with several R2.8 powered vehicles (http://www.fourwheeler.com/features/1710-beta-testing-the-r2-8-diesel-with-cummins/). Unfortunately, they’re not reporting any “numbers” information yet other than some “guestimated” mileage numbers in the mid-twenties.

I would be interested in their mpg numbers also.
The problem with trying to figure out the economy of the cummins 2.8 is that it isn't designed for any particular vehicle. So everything from weight to gear ratios and such of the vehicle it is planted in would be a factor. I would think that with the right application it would get great mpg.

trbankii
12-26-2017, 10:38
Plus, it is more likely to go into non-stock vehicles - where everything from weight to gear ratios to tire size to aerodynamics aren’t likely to be selected for best mileage, so it is not like comparing a mid-sized offering from Nissan with a mid-sized offering from GM.

Now, the roadtrip article did have a moderate Jeep Wrangler and a Nissan Frontier with R2.8s in them and a Colorado Duramax 2.8 along, so perhaps Cummins will be giving some comparative numbers at some point.

cowboywildbill
12-26-2017, 21:26
One thing in it's favor, I don't think it uses a Cat or DPF. Not sure though. But not having those could help with economy.

convert2diesel
12-27-2017, 07:37
One thing in it's favor, I don't think it uses a Cat or DPF. Not sure though. But not having those could help with economy.

Not sure if economy has anything to do with it. At 9 grand, you would have to put on a pile of miles to justify the conversion. Suggest you would have to have another reason to do the conversion.

Bill

spiveyracing
08-07-2018, 17:50
I have had mine for about two weeks now. its impressive so far. I drive 86 miles one way to work and its averaging 28 MPG. not bad for a 4X4 truck. its a 2016 Z71 Colorado crew cab. I was driving a VW TDI Jetta that got 47 MPG until the wood goat (DEER) couldn't wait to cross the road. I have a 05 LLY Crew cab 4X4 dually that is still my favorite truck. Both are black. I have questions and will be back on later. Looking for transmission upgrades or tunes. and would like to add 33" tires and a really strong deer proof front bumper.

cowboywildbill
08-07-2018, 18:52
Very Cool to hear Spivey,
We average 27.5 to 28 mpg worst is usually 25 mpg just running around, but almost all of that is in city type driving lots of traffic and lights.
On the highway it gets an honest 32 or more depending on how heavy my foot is.
Glad you are enjoying it.
And the 1/4 mile times are impressive. LOL "Not really" It ain't a race truck but it ain't a slug either.
Wow it's about time I had a fellow Colorado diesel owner on this page. Keep us updated and stay away from them dear.

Yukon6.2
08-08-2018, 08:10
I have had mine for about two weeks now. its impressive so far. I drive 86 miles one way to work and its averaging 28 MPG. not bad for a 4X4 truck. its a 2016 Z71 Colorado crew cab. I was driving a VW TDI Jetta that got 47 MPG until the wood goat (DEER) couldn't wait to cross the road. I have a 05 LLY Crew cab 4X4 dually that is still my favorite truck. Both are black. I have questions and will be back on later. Looking for transmission upgrades or tunes. and would like to add 33" tires and a really strong deer proof front bumper.

Check out Ali Arc they make aluminum bumpers for trucks.
I have one on my fuel truck that took a moose out,bumper has a slight tweek if you know about it.I also have one on my Dmax wrecker.

spiveyracing
08-11-2018, 13:59
how much body lift and how much suspension lift? for 33" tall tires?:rolleyes: