PDA

View Full Version : Turbo upgrade

Diesel Dan
01-09-2018, 09:24
The OEM turbo is finally showing some bushing wear after 18 years, two engines, 4 IPs and 168K miles. Wondering what is out there these days an improvement over the stock GM-8 unit. Not looking for huge numbers but 20 some odd years after the OE turbo was designed there has to be advancements in designs to benefit from.

Truck is:
-2000 K3500, 6.5TD/auto, CC, LB, SRW, 4x4, 4.10s, 265/75-16s
-engine was replaced in '04 with a Navistar blocked long block and has ~70K on it now.
-3" down pipe, 4" exhaust, remote FSD

Would like to get a manual wastegate so I can ditch the vacuum pump(original). A replacement GM-8 center section would most likely be the cheapest/easiest but I'd like something better.

The truck is used as a truck. Probably has a trailer hooked to it or a load in the box more times than not.

Thanks, Dan

Big Green
01-26-2018, 07:49
Center section is a fast and easy way...

I bought a well used GM8 to replace my aging GM4 and added one of the rebuild kits you see on ebay for about $40. There isn't really much to them. If you can rebuild a lawn mower carb you can rebuild a turbo. Hardest part was getting the screws out of the housings which you'll have to do no matter. Just no room to get anything but an open end wrench on them. I ground several heads off and then extracted the remaining bolt after the fact.

In hindsight I wish I would have spent a few extra $$ and replaced the compressor wheel as it does so some wear on the edges however it's still a nice improvement over the old GM4.

Big Green
'95 k2500

arveetek
01-26-2018, 08:13
Would like to get a manual wastegate so I can ditch the vacuum pump(original).

I installed the Turbomaster manual wastegate and ditched my vacuum pump. I love how it keeps boost constant and consistent. Just be forewarned that the ECM may not like losing control of the boost. My ECM would constantly throw a CEL and put the engine into limp mode after the install. I had to install a chip in my '95 (your 2000 will need to have a flashed ECM). Took two tries with the programming to get it right, but now she'll pull all day long without an issue.

Casey

JeepSJ
01-26-2018, 08:52
Look up Ronniejoe on here and talk to him about one of his turbos. He has a custom setup that just flat out works. I'm seriously considering selling off my TE06H and buying one of his.

More Power
01-26-2018, 11:02
Going back several years, we've published stories about using the highly available Holset HX35 and 40 turbochargers on the 6.5L diesel. The common 35 is sourced from a 1994-98 Dodge Cummins (and other apps). It's wastegated and there is a Turbomaster available for it. The 35 works great on stock compression engines and the 40 works great on 18:1 engines.

Going back 10 years now to 2008, here is a link to a story we published about using the Holset HX35 on the 6.5L diesel:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/jerrysholsetc.htm

I tried and tried - going back more than 10 years - to get some vendor somewhere to offer a turbocharger option that performed better than the stock GM series. My pushing, pleading and cajoling never resulted in a turbo kit being offered. We've waited too damn long, so I began the process of designing one in 2017. Later this summer, I'll offer a sweet looking bolt-on kit that makes swapping a Holset HX35 onto a 6.5 both easy and inexpensive.

trbankii
01-26-2018, 13:03
Later this summer, I'll offer a sweet looking bolt-on kit that makes swapping a Holset HX35 onto a 6.5 both easy and inexpensive.

Cool! Looking forward to it!

More Power
01-26-2018, 14:09
Cool! Looking forward to it!

I finally located a super machinist/welder/fabricator who has access to everyone and everything state of the art. Helps that he likes diesels too.

In the meantime, I found another TDP article I wrote some 6 years ago that explains more of the story. This one is a prelude to what's coming, and it's available right now to everyone. The kit parts will look quite a bit different than anything shown in these photos.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/archive/2012turboc.htm

JeepSJ
01-26-2018, 15:13
Going back several years, we've published stories about using the highly available Holset HX35 and 40 turbochargers on the 6.5L diesel. The common 35 is sourced from a 1994-98 Dodge Cummins (and other apps). It's wastegated and there is a Turbomaster available for it. The 35 works great on stock compression engines and the 40 works great on 18:1 engines.

Going back 10 years now to 2008, here is a link to a story we published about using the Holset HX35 on the 6.5L diesel:
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/jerrysholsetc.htm

I tried and tried - going back more than 10 years - to get some vendor somewhere to offer a turbocharger option that performed better than the stock GM series. My pushing, pleading and cajoling never resulted in a turbo kit being offered. We've waited too damn long, so I began the process of designing one in 2017. Later this summer, I'll offer a sweet looking bolt-on kit that makes swapping a Holset HX35 onto a 6.5 both easy and inexpensive.

https://ptwiringsolutions.com/products/6-dot-5-turbo-diesel-hx35-holset-and-hx40ii-downpipe-kit

phantom309
01-28-2018, 19:27
Some folks are running a hybrid 35/40 unit
With the 35 exhaust side and the bigger 40 airside, its in my plans, along with the 3"-4" system from diamond eye, along with a tune from quadstar,.
I don't think i will put the 5068 pump on yet, this truck has pretty good power for a stocker,

More Power
01-29-2018, 12:01
https://ptwiringsolutions.com/products/6-dot-5-turbo-diesel-hx35-holset-and-hx40ii-downpipe-kit

Looks good! Solves a lot of problems if the kit works like it should. Bruce Kirkendall was a members in 2012.

We'll see what develops, but I plan to keep going. What I had in mind is a bit different, more refined, when compared to what we published in March 2012.

trbankii
01-29-2018, 14:42
Always good to have options!

Diesel Dan
01-29-2018, 17:11
Always good to have options!

Yes it is!

MP, thanks for the update and let us know how the kit turns out.

For now I've picked up a rebuild kit for the turbo. Time is my enemy right now, in the process of building a new shop/house. Had crews do the foundation/block, concrete, rough frame and roof. I doing all the doors/windows, interior framing including the second floor(exterior was framed with 16' studs) plumbing, electrical, hvac, siding (35 sq) etc.