PDA

View Full Version : Temp gauge not working

Personj06
03-20-2018, 14:34
Have a 93 6.5 diesel, temp gauge hasn’t worked since I bought it. When you go to turn it over it pegs out then dies again once starter is disengaged. Replaced sender with no luck. Doesn’t peg out when grounded either. Checked the prongs on the back of the dash and bent them a little to make better contact. Still no luck. Is there another sensor for the temp gauge I’m not finding somewhere?

sctrailrider
03-20-2018, 15:50
On a 93 the temp gauge gets it's signal from the sensor in the DS front head just under #1 exhaust port... if you shorted the plug and the gauge didn't peg out the gauge is bad...

Personj06
03-22-2018, 19:31
On a 93 the temp gauge gets it's signal from the sensor in the DS front head just under #1 exhaust port... if you shorted the plug and the gauge didn't peg out the gauge is bad...

Replaced the sending unit now the gauge works but seems to run cool. Moves up as the truck warms up but only ranges from 150-160. Replaced the thermostat with no change.

Robyn
03-23-2018, 06:24
May very well be a bad gauge.

Any other gauge cluster anomalies ???

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2018, 07:40
Just as likely, a bad sender out of the box. Seems more common these days. Or, the temp readings are accurate, and it isn't getting that hot. It is winter, still. Give it a good flogging when it warms up and see where that goes.

Gages are simple, and generally display an accurate sample of their input. If it displays linear to actual temps, even if it isn't accurate, it's doing it's job. They are, essentially, good for nothing better than tracking trends in performance.

If you MUST have an accurate gage, plug in a Tech tool and see just what the system is seeing. You may be surprised to find it's more accurate than you suspect. That leaves selecting a more accurate sender, or accommodating the difference.

sctrailrider
03-23-2018, 08:29
Their is nothing for a scan gauge to read on a 93, at least not on mine.. i have had bad new stats also...

JohnC
03-23-2018, 10:32
Come to think of it, my '93 never read much above 160 either.