PDA

View Full Version : Fluidampr and crankshaft pulley

rnash4
04-09-2018, 14:35
Searched the forum and couldn't find an answer to this question: If you replaced your oem HB with a Fluidampr, what kind of crankshaft pulley would you get to replace the oem pulley? I want to replace both of them, not sure whether to get a new AC Delco crank pulley or go with one of these solid billet aluminum crank pulleys like Leroy Diesel sells. Seems to me the original crank pulleys are made the way they are for a reason. But with a Fluidampr and solid aluminum crank pulley combo the problem of deteriorating rubber would be eliminated I would think. Would the solid aluminum pulley cause premature belt failure or extra wear and tear on the serpentine belt system since it doesn't have any dampening built into it? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ronniejoe
04-09-2018, 14:43
The reason the factory pulley has a rubber insert is for belt life. Diesel dynamics wreak havoc on the belt.

There are lots of dumb aftermarket gimmicks out there (i.e. "billet" crank pulleys, bypass flow restrictors, etc.) that should never have seen the light of day.

Use the factory crank pulley.

rnash4
04-09-2018, 15:20
That is what I was thinking but wanted to hear it from somebody on this forum. Thank you, sir.