PDA

View Full Version : Front end problems

Claypatt
05-03-2018, 16:34
About a month ago I started hearing and feeling this god awful sound on left turns, entirely at random.
I took 97 3500 to a mechanic down the road and he did some work on it, about 1800 worth, as follows (from the invoice):

Lower balljoints
Upper balljoints
Upper control arm bushings
Pitman arm
Steering knuckle/hub bearing assembly
Front wheel alignment

To make this short, I'm not a mechanic by trade but I am getting a little pissed off that this is some sort of big mystery.

To describe the sound, it sounds like someone is smashing my left wheel with a crowbar.

Thanks.
Clay

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2018, 17:46
Welcome aboard!

That's covered most. Try rotating the tires, even if they've been previously completely eliminated. Check them for roundness and straight tread (belt separation, spin the tire and watch the tread, and the wheel), and check the wheels for cracks or other damage.

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2018, 17:59
Also, don't discount the rear end. Broken springs, bad bearings or bad tires/wheels/drums can cause issues that may seem like the front end.

DieselDavy
05-04-2018, 04:23
Clay,
I'm with DMax,
I've seen some weird stuff (usually tire related) that can seem like front end problems.
Dave

Robyn
05-04-2018, 06:48
CV axle on the left front.

When the joint is in the turn a failing/failed CV joint can make a lot of nasty noises and unless you go looking a failed joint does not jump off the page at you.

ronniejoe
05-04-2018, 12:08
I agree, check the CV joints. (assuming it's a 4X4)