PDA

View Full Version : 2000 6.5 dually any weak points?

Kidd
10-15-2004, 17:10
My nephew just bought a 2000 GMC crew cab dually
4X4 6.5, 5 speed trans. Has about 75k miles on it, looks and runs great. Anything he should be watching for? Looked up the history on it, and it has had two clutches and one new tranny. Also the rotors front and rear have been replaced. I didn't know the 2000 dually had rear discs, but this one does.

K.D.

JoeyD
10-15-2004, 17:44
It would be a very rare truck if it's the older style truck with disc brakes.

Billman
10-16-2004, 03:49
Yes. I would love to convert mine.

Can you verify? Even better, can you give the VIN number?

Kidd
10-16-2004, 16:54
Haven't had a chance to look under truck yet, just picked it up today and the darn thing died on the way home. Stopped for lunch and it would not restart. nada. dead. Lift pump working, fuel comes out of filter, but don't think IP is working. Had it towed to dealer.. will see on Monday what is wrong.

Just going by service records from GM.. shows new rotors and calipers front and rear, could be mistake, will find out.

K.D. :(

markrinker
10-16-2004, 20:12
You must have just set a new record for "used 6.5 truck purchased, IP fails". (If this wasn't so typical, it would almost be humorous...)

Make sure the GM dealer stands by their warranty on the IP, if that is what it ends up to be.

Diesel Dan
10-17-2004, 18:27
While my pump didn't fail right away the trans did. On the way home from delivery the trans dropped out of OD twice, no SES light. Code didn't set until couple months later, ended up putting a new converter in it.

Back too the topic. My truck was bought in Feb/Mar of this year, 89K miles. July of '03 they installed a new pump around 75K miles. Took it in for excessive smoke on accel, intermittent, about August this year(93Kish). They installed another new pump. Later went to upstate NY, colder nights, and wasn't really happy with cold starting of truck. Came back and took in to dealer. They did a compression check and it was just under spec, so in goes new motor.

Now have about 200 miles on the new motor. Since my truck showed 3 pumps in it's life I was concerned about piston ring health from possible high EGTs from the smoke. Apparently someone else considered this as well. All should be happy now :D .

I do think this 6.5 is louder than my 12V cummins when cold however :eek: !

markrinker
10-18-2004, 11:55
Dan - who paid for the motor?

Diesel Dan
10-18-2004, 16:22
Mark,
It was covered under the 5yr/100K warranty. Cost me the $100 deductible. When they called and informed me about the motor I ran over to the local diesel pump repair facility(standadyne) and bougth new Bosch injectors and glow plugs. For $460 and free labor I'll see how they work out.

Kidd
10-18-2004, 17:36
Yep, made all of 60 miles homeward before the truck quit. Hopefully will be covered by warranty. :confused: Frustrating, my 98 and my brother's 98 have never given any problems, and he has nearly 300k on his.

K.D.
98 GMC 4X4 dually, 6.5 auto