PDA

View Full Version : '95 NO vacuum

sk8rdi16
09-14-2004, 14:39
I have had black smoke on this new suburban (for me). I have checked the vacuum lines coming from the pump. NOTHING! I do not have a gauge though. It will not pull anything I put my finger over it, also a piece of paper. I have read about going over to the Turbo-Master. I would like to keep this thing as user friendly as possible. It is the 2500 so no EGR only vacuum on the turbo. So, will going to the turbo master give me an SES light? I am NOT going for power, don't pull, and don't want to buy a new chip.

Thanks!

MTTwister
09-14-2004, 15:09
sk8dr.. You should be getting 20# out of the Vacuum pump - so you'd notice it if you had vacuum there. Turbomaster - probably cheaper that a new vacuum pump - and you can use an earlier shorter belt. The Turbomaster can be adjusted down enough I'm sure.
Would be best to put some gauges on Boost at least, EGT to be on the safe side and then - you're hooked!
You say you don't want power... HA! You'll be there in no time.

ttpost
09-14-2004, 16:41
i just put a turbo master on my stock truck, turbo wasnt working. money well spent gained power,less parts to fail than the original system,gained fuel economy, and no black smoke. worth every penny and hes a great guy

sk8rdi16
09-14-2004, 19:52
ttpost, does the turbo master give you any codes, or an SES light?
that is really what is holding me back

Thanks

Cowracer
09-15-2004, 05:06
The TM is highly adjustable. It can be set to a boost level that will not give any codes on a stock computer.

Install time is about 2 hours with basic hand tools and an average mechanical aptitude.

Get one, you won't regret it.

Tim

sk8rdi16
09-15-2004, 05:46
What about the Wastegate solonoid? Just leave it? Actually it is not getting any vacuum now, so it shouldn't hurt just to leave it and take the vacuum lines out.

What is the going price for the Turbo masters, I hear people getting them for $69, Where to get it?

Will the install instructions come with it?

Thanks,

Cowracer
09-15-2004, 07:05
Originally posted by sk8rdi16:
What about the Wastegate solonoid? Just leave it? Actually it is not getting any vacuum now, so it shouldn't hurt just to leave it and take the vacuum lines out.

What is the going price for the Turbo masters, I hear people getting them for $69, Where to get it?

Will the install instructions come with it?

Thanks, Yes, www.turbo-master.com (http://www.turbo-master.com) and yes

Tim

Marty Lau
09-15-2004, 07:59
The TurboMaster is real straight forward for more boost you short the spring length by turning a nut losen for less boost. The instructions gives you length of spring for stock boost. If you set codes simply clear them with the paper clip trick and losen the nut a turn and go again. I did have the boost gage installed when I first put the Turbo master on and a week later I installed boost gage and I was pulling about 10 inches of boost and no codes.

john8662
09-15-2004, 08:09
A new vacuum pump sounds like a good plan to me verses the turbo master. I wouldn't even mess with a turbo master if you don't have a boost gauge installed, because you won't know what boost you are putting out, and if too much you'll set a code. Although, there are instructions with the TM to set it to stock boost levels. But once the computer sets a code it will also reduce fuel, until you restart the engine. I prefer the computer control, but I haven't had any problems yet. If you install the turbo master you will probably want to remove the dead vacuum pump, that will require a new belt (from a 93 model). Just your options.

here is a vacuum pump on this page to fix you up.

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=1&SubCategory=145

ttpost
09-15-2004, 09:08
it took me about a 1/2 hour to install it. i did install a boost gauge at the same time, and i left all the stock stuff intact.i havent set any codes. when you install it comes with a spring measurement, measure only the spring not the spring length and the lock nuts. to me getting rid of multiple parts of the original system and going down to one is great, less things to go wrong. i plan to elimenate the vacuum pump at a later date. with one belt it is one less thing to go out and leave you stranded. so far my original vacuum pump and alternator have both left me stuck, lose one bearing and lose everything. :mad: . the other benefit is that i can add a performance chip when i can afford it and up my boost. money well spent and once again bill heath is a great guy