PDA

View Full Version : SES Light

MM9135
08-10-2003, 11:29
What are the most common reasons this light will come on and stay on but the engine starts and runs fine? It is not wet like the owners manual suggests. It has been dry for weeks and the light remains on.

tloomis
08-10-2003, 11:41
Need more information about the motor. What year? Is it an L56 or L65 8th digit of vin = S or F? What modification have been done if any? How many miles? When and under what circumstance did the light come on.

MM9135
08-10-2003, 13:06
It has an F for that digit. It is a 1996 3500 Savana box van I bought used for my business. It has 97,000 and the light was on when I bought it. FYI the lift pump wasn't working and I replaced it and the fuel filter. Could this have caused it? Does the light have to be reset? I have driven it a few times since the repair. Also, the water in fuel sensor is missing and that light is on, would that trigger the SES light to come on? I am ordering a new sensor this week. Thanks for your help. I am new to diesels and this website.

tloomis
08-10-2003, 13:35
What lead you to the Lift Pump being bad? If the lift pump was just weaker than new you may be masking a weak injector pump now.
With all that you have mentioned and the other unknowns that we don't know. I would be inclined to get it checked with a Tech II or OBD II compatable scanner to see what codes are set.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help but this is the only way you are going to know for sure.
P.S. don't be discouraged if it is the injection pump. With what you have said you still have warranty lift on the pump.

[ 08-10-2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: tloomis ]

MM9135
08-10-2003, 14:05
I found the dead lift pump when I replaced the fuel filter and couldn't get it to prime. I called the local GM dealer and the mechanic lead me to the lift pump which when I powered it up off the vehicle didn't work. The new pump worked and the engine is running fine.

Iwas trying to find out what I could do to save some money. The dealer is pricey, especially on parts. They wanted 180 for the pump and I got it for 75. Thanks again for your help.

whatnot
08-10-2003, 14:35
You will need to get the codes read to get an idea where to look.
You might be able to get somewhere like autozone to do it free.

MM9135
08-10-2003, 19:29
I'll try that, thanks for everything.