PDA

View Full Version : Timing Gear Set Splash Shield

jggiedeman
11-04-2018, 12:49
Did early 6.5 or 6.2 engines have a splash shield mounted in between the camshaft timing gear and the fuel pump gear attached to the camshaft gear? Seems i recall one at a point. You would install the shield after the camshaft gear was installed and prior to both fuel injection pump gears installed.

Robyn
11-04-2018, 14:20
I have seen a splash shield on the inside of the cover, but not on the gears.

jggiedeman
11-05-2018, 20:28
Had to dig into my old military manuals. Specifically, TM 9-2815-237-34P. Figure 8, item 14. GM pn 14033820. They call it a crankcase vent baffle.

More Power
11-06-2018, 13:44
Did early 6.5 or 6.2 engines have a splash shield mounted in between the camshaft timing gear and the fuel pump gear attached to the camshaft gear? Seems i recall one at a point. You would install the shield after the camshaft gear was installed and prior to both fuel injection pump gears installed.

Yes, the early 6.2L diesels had a splash shield inside the aluminum front cover. It was there to prevent splash oil from being sucked into the crankcase vent system and then into the intake manifold.

The early oil fill pipes had a Y tube for the crankcase vent system.

Once the CDR was moved to the valve cover, they stopped using the splash shield.

Jim