PDA

View Full Version : re-awakened from the dead

derekja
03-30-2019, 09:35
I have a 1998 K3500 that has been sitting for about 11 years that I'm going to try to re-awaken tomorrow. I moved to Canada 12 years ago and was unable to import it at that time because it was modified (6" procomp lift kit) but now that it is older it is subject only to provincial rules and the liftkit is fine.

I intend to do an oil change and put new batteries in before I try to fire it up, but what else would you all recommend? I need to drive it across the border under it's own power before I can get it into my shop.

After getting it there, doing the main seal might be a good idea. And a thorough check over everything of course. But what else specifically would you recommend changing out after that amount of time that I might not otherwise think of?

Thanks! Looking forward to re-joining you all here!

sctrailrider
03-30-2019, 11:53
Fuel, oil, antifreeze, air filter, fuel filter...

derekja
03-30-2019, 11:57
Thanks! Definitely got those on the list.

(Pauline, SC. Nice! I went school at Furman over in Greenville. Great part of the country.)

JohnC
03-30-2019, 12:49
Check the brakes very carefully! Leaks and frozen calipers...

You don't want to be crashing through the boarder crossing!

Dvldog8793
04-01-2019, 09:19
If possible drain the fuel tank, stuff can grow in there and create all kinds of problems. They also make a tank cleaner product that might be a good idea.
Was the truck exposed to salt in its life? If so REALLY check all your brake and fuel lines. Bring with a spare fuel lift pump.
Good luck!

derekja
04-02-2019, 15:06
Fantastic, thanks for all the thoughts! She made it home safe and sound. Runs well enough I think I'm even going to try to slip her through the inspection before putting her up on a hoist and going top to bottom. Pretty great after being set in a field for so many years! I think it was the wasp epicenter of Clallam county, though. 33 wasp nests came out of her. Still cold enough in the mornings that I got them all without getting stung, though.

Boy, that car wash was a gratifying experience! (pictures attached)

arveetek
04-03-2019, 06:37
Boy, that car wash was a gratifying experience! (pictures attached)

Holy cow! That was one filthy truck!! She sure cleaned up nicely, though.

Casey

Yukon6.2
04-03-2019, 09:24
Great before and after pic's
I bought a sea can in southeast Alaska that has been sitting in the woods for about that long,and looks like your before pictures.
Glad to see it will cleanup,i was going to use it for myself instead of a rental.I wouldn't want it sitting in my yard if i was paying rent on it.