PDA

View Full Version : TCC LOCK UP SW

rjwest
10-16-2004, 04:18
Ref:
Forcing TCC lock up with " False" tran over temp condition. Resister in parrelel to temperature
sensor at PCM to get TCC lock up sooner in 3rd and also in 2nd gear.

MTTwister:Think I got your usid figured out, took awhile.

In the hills of the NE the TCC lock up
really works great, Steep , twistes, no room to get a running start. Going to Asheville NC there is a steep pull, I found it easier on the truck to let it slow to 50mph. Pull in down to 2nd and Lock the TCC. than run the hill at 3000- 3300 rpm.
All the temps stay real cool.

The TCC lock up sw has quite a delay when
switching it on and off. Was trying to think of some way to force 3rd gear shift by opening Shift indicator line to PCM.

Or File off thr 3rd gear notch. Real pain in the A** to down shift ( hit 2nd sometimes when i don't want to.). Maybe I need a Floor shift column,

Also looking at the PCS Tran controller,Expensive,
but it controlls TCC lock up in all gears, and can be programed.

I could have bought a DMAX for all the money I got in this truck. BUT I don't need the Injector problems..
Wish I had a STD shift.

MTTwister
10-16-2004, 09:25
rjwest - Yeah, the handle is from the moparts board, when I "adopted" the Duster ('72), and started the rebuild. Seemed easier for me to remember to go with the same id across various 'auto' boards.

When you say the TCC sw has quite a delay - can you give any 'time frames' for the dealie to cycle on and off? Thanks.

BTW, my borther-in-law is working in Florida for FEMA - Orlando - Clearwater area right now. Long hours, but he loves it! He's encouraging me to 'retire' from this crummy job and get with FEMA. He can't believe the devastation Florida has suffered from these hurricanes.

Enjoy the Weekend!

Dihrdbowti
10-17-2004, 00:26
Hey rjwest I was reading up on the hot trans mode for the tranny and found you might get a code if continously in hot mode for 900 seconds. Don't have the exact code right now but I am going to try and wire the switch/resistors up this coming week and give it a try.

rjwest
10-17-2004, 06:26
Interesting,
That's 15 minutes: ? I have not seen any codes.
I run with laptop so I should have seen in History
file.

I did get a Trans code 1 time ( I think ) as
I was also running a Turbo master with the TCC sw.

It appeared at the end of a 2nd-3rd upshift
at VERY high boost, full throttle.

Do not rember what it was, did not save the data as I was resetting the Boost codes.

I try to let of throttle , sw of hot mode and
than sw it back on when in 3rd after worst part of hill is over, Mainly not to overload TCC clutch.

Lot's of manual shifting, wish I ahd a 5 speed,
it would be a lot easier....

Let me know what you find out, Maybe code set at a higher tenperature than the resister is set for....

MTTwister
10-17-2004, 08:46
- I ran mine- wired up incorrectly, (oops my fault) for @3 weeks, and 2000 mi. No MIL light set, harsher shifts but it does store a type D code. HOWEVER, it started to surge really badly.
Naturally - 1. I didn't think I had wired the resistor wrong across the switch, ( I mean, how could I screw up something that simple? :mad: ) so I:
2. didn't think to undo the splice, so I
3. took it into a GM shop in Lansing, MI, and for $300 they told me they were getting a High Trans Temp code. Undid my tap and it was running good again. Got home and fixed my screw-up.

I think you have to stay under the really over the top Hi Temp parameters, which the current set up seems to accomplish.

jdmetcalf57
10-17-2004, 15:35
I've left my swith on for a very long time pulling in the mountains. When returning home from CO In august had some pmd problems so took to dealer and he fixed it and said it had a high trans temp code also. This is what is supposed to happen when the trans gets hot. Told the mechanic what I had done with the switch and he was ok with it.

One thing I figured out though that will help people use the switch effectively. When the computer gets the high temp signal it is supposed to freeze shift adapts. The computer normaly monitors how shifts go and adjust the pressure accordingly. Once you start up after being shutdown and if you use the switch to soon the pressure won't adjust according to load and you may not get enough pressure to ensure that your TCC locks completely. I have found that if while towing you let the computer figure out what pressure it should run through a couple of shift sequences then use the switch the TCC will handle the load without slipping.