PDA

View Full Version : stalling

spra01
08-12-2003, 09:16
I'm haveing some issues with my 94 6.5 turbo that appear to be common,
once a day it will stall or buck or it will be hard to start and the SES light comes on. It will normally have the codes 17, 18, 35 and 36. I understand from what i've read that 35 and 36 could be a fualty FSD, but what about 17 and 18 could they also be the FSD??
My plan is to relocate the FSD, can this solve my problem or is the damage to the FSD done??
A couple of times the code 54 has also been retrieved, when code 54 was present the engine will fluctuate slightly with the turnsignal, Sounds like a ground problem to me, and thats where I will start, but has anyone experianced this one,
The truck has 484000 km so the extended warrenty is not an option

charliepeterson
08-12-2003, 12:17
Unfortuneately it sounds like your Injection Pump is going South. It's definitely a good idea to relocate the pump driver. With an extended harness you can put it almost anywhere you want. You still need a good heat sink to mount it on though.

spra01
08-12-2003, 12:52
I'm still in denial on the injector pump,(i'm also convinced I have a full head of hair) but reallity is starting to sink in,
Do the problems i'm experincing tend to get worse quickly, or do I have some time, It hasn't left me stranded yet!

ucdavis
08-12-2003, 17:52
I had exact same fun @ 25,000 miles. FSD change didn't do squat. IP change & it ran like new.
17 & 18 have to do with the optical sensor on top of IP; 35 & 36 with the fuel solenoid that releases fuel to the injectors. I got 54 on occasion also, but couldn't tell you why.
You can try replacing the optical sensor yourself; clean the top of pump & general operating area first to avoid contamination of inside of pump. I think its a T20 for top screws & T45 or T50 for sensor piece inside pump. If you see debris inside of pump (floating in the diesel) you're probably screwed & need to do whole pump; that will have gotten into rollers, etc & pump will need rebuilding. Stanadyne dealer sells parts; look in phone book under diesel injection.
good luck.

pannhead
08-12-2003, 18:12
it doesnt look good at all :( ....you may get luck and find some bad wiring,connections,grounds etc...in the meantime brush up on your IP warrenty speech for the steelers ;)