PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler; is bigger better?

jspringator
09-16-2004, 15:14
Is the Turbo Technology intercooler big enough to get the job done? Is the Kennedy intercooler worth $300 more?

tanker
09-16-2004, 16:20
Umm, yes and no to #1, Yes to #2. I have the Turbo tech intercooler which was the only one I could find when I did mine many moons ago. If I were doing it again, I'd go with the Kennedy unit. Its an easier fit, (no modification to the fender well) and is a bit larger. The 6.5TD needs all the cool air it can get if you are towing. John is also a big help when doing an installation and you don't quite know which way something goes, or the directions are not clear. Its that after the sale part that seperates John form the others. smile.gif

TurboDiverArt
09-16-2004, 17:06
Yeah but I think John's only works with 2 wheel drive trucks because of the size of the unit. Probably doesn't clear the front differential.

Got any pictures of the Turbo tech unit? I've never seen this one. I don't really need to run 15 psi of boost but being able to safely pull with 12 psi would be nice...

If I could figure out a place to store enough water in the Suburban I'd consider water injection.

Art.

rjschoolcraft
09-16-2004, 18:39
Hmmm....

Fits fine on my K2500 four wheel drive!

tanker
09-17-2004, 01:00
Art, Howie E. is in Princeton, and I'm another hour west, so you could look at either of our K-2500 4X4 Suburbans, both with a Turbo tech intercooler's. We also have other items of interest installed. We should get together sometime. smile.gif

TurboDiverArt
09-17-2004, 01:31
Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Hmmm....

Fits fine on my K2500 four wheel drive! Huh, from John's site:

"This kit fits ONLY 2500HD and 3500 series 2 wheel drive Pickup and Suburban with 8 lug wheels. "

Guess where there's a will there's a way.

Art.

DA BIG ONE
09-17-2004, 01:38
Only thing to worry about is going with a too large IC is the pressure drop that comes with it. A larger turbo, bigger injectors, enhanced injection program will offset this pressure drop, then the issue becomes, "How fast do you want to spend"?

TurboDiverArt
09-17-2004, 01:39
Originally posted by tanker:
Art, Howie E. is in Princeton, and I'm another hour west, so you could look at either of our K-2500 4X4 Suburbans, both with a Turbo tech intercooler's. We also have other items of interest installed. We should get together sometime. smile.gif Yeah, I've wanted to get together with Howie for a while. He helped me out a bunch with my trailer wiring.

Art.

Dvldog 8793
09-17-2004, 03:19
Howdy
John lists TWO ICs one for 4x4 another for lesser trucks. ;)
Customer service is worth every penny.
L8r
Conley Janssen

autocrosser
09-17-2004, 03:50
The Intercooler is a Spearco unit and won't fit the light duty 2wd trucks which is the ones with the 6 lug wheels.

I believe you could take the basic intercooler and re do the inlet and outlet ports to allow rerouting the lines and make one work. The core is available as a separate item. There***ut isn't room to pas the lines up as the present set up is designed.

rjschoolcraft
09-17-2004, 04:02
TBOGEMIREP installed one on his K1500. He made custom tubes with no modification to the core, IIRC.

Billman
09-17-2004, 05:10
Bigger is Better. Worth the extra money. No Question. Whatever it takes, make it fit.

Pressure Drop across the cooler shouldn't be a concern. Tighten the spring or turn the screw. Once an Intercooler is installed, most people take advantage of the increased boost option.

DogDiesel
09-17-2004, 05:19
A question with no exact answer. Many opinions.

I ran a turbo technologies with my 6.5 from OEM to low compression engine with GM8 max'd out and then the Peninsular Performance turbo.

It cooled in all applications.

When I converted my truck to a 5.9L cummins with 300 HP injectors and plate, I am still using that same TT intercooler. I recently was towing with my 24' GN grossing over 25K, and it still cooled the same as with my 13K RV. My temps were never high, the needle resided at 155-160. The engine was warm but not hot, there was heat on the radiator and intercooler was barely warm. Must be working. My fan was moving air...

I suppose any seat-of-the-pants reflection of performance like mine is of question, as well larger is better. I'd be thinking that dynometer and verified tests would be the gospel. None exists, so it is open season with seat-of-the-pants tests.

I have the Dodge intercooler to install on mine, but since I have to replace my whole front clip fender forward, it can wait. Since I have installed a 2" cab lift, I am going to plumb mine under the radiator support and probably will use that intercooler. Reason. Flow. I suspect I will see a slight boost drop. With no real performance change on normal driving.

I'd bet that on a pull like that 29 mile 7-9% out of Yakama, WA on (I think) I-94, that cummulative heat would favor the larger cooler.

Wayne

DennisG01
09-17-2004, 05:31
(Off Topic)

Art, Howie E., Tanker:

Hey, if you guys are getting together sometime, I'd be interested too! I'd love to get some experienced guys looking at my Burb and also see what your rigs look like. While I think I have a slight loss of power somewhere, I really don't have anything to compare it too - other than what I read on this website - but you can only tell so much by reading, you know?

Spindrift
09-17-2004, 10:55
Dennis...check out NE Diesel Get Together.

gmctd
09-17-2004, 14:36
What were the Boost pressures on the GM vs the Cummins, Wayne?

jspringator
09-17-2004, 17:52
OK, OK, my Kennedy unit is on order. I hated to spend that extra $300, but...

rjschoolcraft
09-17-2004, 19:08
You'll never regret it! ;)

TurboDiverArt
09-18-2004, 03:40
Originally posted by Dvldog 8793:
Howdy
John lists TWO ICs one for 4x4 another for lesser trucks. ;)
Customer service is worth every penny.
L8r
Conley Janssen Oh shoot, you're right! I didn't see the other one below the screen fold. :rolleyes:

Art.

TurboDiverArt
09-18-2004, 03:46
Originally posted by Dennis Galligani:
(Off Topic)

Art, Howie E., Tanker:

Hey, if you guys are getting together sometime, I'd be interested too! I'd love to get some experienced guys looking at my Burb and also see what your rigs look like. While I think I have a slight loss of power somewhere, I really don't have anything to compare it too - other than what I read on this website - but you can only tell so much by reading, you know? I don't know about experienced but I'm always up for lunch, a beer and shooting the $hit.

Art.

patrick m.
09-18-2004, 09:00
Originally posted by TurboDiverArt:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by ronniejoe:
Hmmm....

Fits fine on my K2500 four wheel drive! Huh, from John's site:

"This kit fits ONLY 2500HD and 3500 series 2 wheel drive Pickup and Suburban with 8 lug wheels. "

Guess where there's a will there's a way.

Art. </font>[/QUOTE]fits my K2500 pick-up fine...."TBO" put one on his "half-ton" with a little modification