PDA

View Full Version : water pump, turbo, whirring noise

ebenton2ph
06-18-2019, 09:57
I recently changed the water pump on my 07 6.6 duramax. Since then I have a whirring noise on acceleration. Could this be related to the water pump or is it a problem with the turbo?

rapidoxidationman
06-18-2019, 11:50
Are you sure the seal on the exhaust end of the egr cooler tube is solid? A slight exhaust leak there will sound like that.

More Power
06-18-2019, 12:10
I recently changed the water pump on my 07 6.6 duramax. Since then I have a whirring noise on acceleration. Could this be related to the water pump or is it a problem with the turbo?

Don't know about the whirring... but

Water pump seal leaks... :(

I have had water pumps on the 6.5L diesel last for 300k+ miles. I know of a Duramax water pump that lasted for at least 750k. These seals should last longer than any of us need them to.

Water pump seal leaks occurring in any diesel engine are more often than not caused by excessive pressure in the cooling system (combustion pressure finding its way in - due to bad head gaskets, EGR leaks, head crack/porosity, LB7 injector cups, and so on...

A quick check of the firmness of the top radiator hose after sitting overnight will reveal a cooling system overpressure problem.

Jim

Kennedy
06-19-2019, 11:02
The fist question I would ask is what did you use for a water pump? The proper LBZ/LMM water pump has a composite impeller with an aluminum hub. I see a good number of listings for cast impellers which is a big mistake to go with.