PDA

View Full Version : Tire questions

Eric Selinger
09-16-2004, 20:05
I'm going to put some hummer wheels on my truck, but I'm having a hard time finding tires. I am looking at a great set og Goodyear HP standard load tires. they are rated to a max load of 2500+ pounds. The 16" tires I have now are 10 ply E rated tires rated to 3042#. I don't pull any heavy loads. do you think these tires would cause me any serious problems? Or is it a disaster waiting to happen?

Thanks!

Eric

matt-max
09-17-2004, 03:37
if you're not pulling any heavy loads you should be fine. but why not put on real truck tires? are the ones you are looking at P-rated passenger car tires? or are they LT-rated truck tires? sounds like passenger with that load rating, which should improve ride noticeably.....

you don't list what vehicle you have and that makes a difference of course. why no try a set of c, d, or e rated truck tires.....michelin LTX a/s in 265.70-17. they work out great and are standard equipment on dodge and ford 3/4-tons. they are available via ebay for great prices too.

matt

Eric Selinger
09-17-2004, 04:20
My truck is a 94 C3500 crew cab long bed, and the tires are 6 ply off a cadillace escalade i believe.

I just don't want it to be "boaty" or dangerous.

Thanks!

Eric

Dvldog 8793
09-17-2004, 04:59
Howdy
IIRC Your truck should scale in at around 8000lbs w/ full tank of fuel. If it were me I would use "real truck" tires. If you ever did want to haul a real load in the bed you would be thankfull that you did. Also I don't think any tire store will mount the tires you want on a 3500 truck. I have 10 ply tires on my rig and they ride fine, with the long frame, single RW, and variable rate springs it rides better than some 1/2 tons. tongue.gif If you really want something to ride nice than look up velvet-ride shackles.
http://www.lord.com/Default.aspx?tabid=872
They seem to work good. I don't have them but it probably is only a matter of time! :D
Also in todays sue happy society I would think if you had LT 6 ply tires on your truck and had an accident due to tire failure it could be REAL messy :eek: :mad:
L8r
Conley Janssen