PDA

View Full Version : More fuel tanks, or?

DA BIG ONE
09-17-2004, 01:54
I have been knocking around the idea of more fuel tanks. Found one, and aux tank that goes between the chassis rails and holds 25 gal.

Question is, I think gas powered burbs have a 45 gallon unit that goes along the drivers side chassis rail only. If this is true, it should bolt up w/o big problems, but can it be used for unvented for diesel?

An additional fuel filler in the wheel well would be ok, then there is the transfer pump issue.

Any thoughts?

rjwest
09-17-2004, 03:23
Installed a 35 gal aux tank in place of my spare .
( Had it made of Alu by a custom shop )

Transfer fuel from aux to main. Fuel goes into
main tank filler vent at it's lowest point( " T fitting ".

Aux tank filler vent is tied into main filler vent
at highest point ( top of filler neck,) with "T"

If I forget to shut off transfer pump, it will return to aux tank when main is full.

System is " big 2 tank closed vent system " like original,

Used a " Off the shelf " lift pump from Discont auto parts for transfer pump and a RACON filter that I got at a boat store .

Installed " Qty Gage " in overhead console.

System works great, except 1 minor problem.

If I transfer fuel to main tank and fill it completly just before attempting to refuel aux tank. The vent system traps some fule and air locks the Aux tank to where it does not want to take fuel....

If I were to do it again, I would buy the
kit that is available, Did save some money but
probably spent that on fuel running around to get parts.

Lastly: Really great to have extra fuel especially when traveling.

DA BIG ONE
09-17-2004, 06:25
Originally posted by rjwest:
Installed a 35 gal aux tank in place of my spare .
( Had it made of Alu by a custom shop )

Transfer fuel from aux to main. Fuel goes into
main tank filler vent at it's lowest point( " T fitting ".

Aux tank filler vent is tied into main filler vent
at highest point ( top of filler neck,) with "T"

If I forget to shut off transfer pump, it will return to aux tank when main is full.

System is " big 2 tank closed vent system " like original,

Used a " Off the shelf " lift pump from Discont auto parts for transfer pump and a RACON filter that I got at a boat store .

Installed " Qty Gage " in overhead console.

System works great, except 1 minor problem.

If I transfer fuel to main tank and fill it completly just before attempting to refuel aux tank. The vent system traps some fule and air locks the Aux tank to where it does not want to take fuel....

If I were to do it again, I would buy the
kit that is available, Did save some money but
probably spent that on fuel running around to get parts.

Lastly: Really great to have extra fuel especially when traveling. Thanks for the reply!

My burb came with the 43 gal unit between the rear and rear bumper, guess this area is for the spare on some trucks.

Thinking, if I can mount the aux tank the same height as the factory tank a large 2"/2.5" pipe plumbed into the lower side of each tank connecting both would allow for fuel to be at same level for both tanks, and the use of 1 fuel level sender, eliminating the fuel transfer pump requirement. ????, will get into it deeper.

DmaxMaverick
09-17-2004, 10:37
Big 1

Thinking, if I can mount the aux tank the same height as the factory tank a large 2"/2.5" pipe plumbed into the lower side of each tank connecting both would allow for fuel to be at same level for both tanks, and the use of 1 fuel level sender, eliminating the fuel transfer pump requirement. ????, will get into it deeper. What do you think if you had to stop on an incline for too long? Rear tank full, main (fuel pick up tank) empty. The tanks would only be at the same level when you are on level ground.

The best bet, and probably cheaper in the long run, would be to use the correct hardware and keep the two tanks separate. You could either use a transfer method (pump or gravity) to fill the main tank, or install the dual tank valve and a sender/pick up into the aux. tank. You could buy a kit, or save some money and hunt up the parts.

The connected tanks you describe are not D.O.T. legal. The tanks cannot be continually connected (crossover line). The vapor lines can be shared, but not the liquid lines while on the highway.

DA BIG ONE
09-18-2004, 07:56
Originally posted by DmaxMaverick:
Big 1

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Thinking, if I can mount the aux tank the same height as the factory tank a large 2"/2.5" pipe plumbed into the lower side of each tank connecting both would allow for fuel to be at same level for both tanks, and the use of 1 fuel level sender, eliminating the fuel transfer pump requirement. ????, will get into it deeper. What do you think if you had to stop on an incline for too long? Rear tank full, main (fuel pick up tank) empty. The tanks would only be at the same level when you are on level ground.

The best bet, and probably cheaper in the long run, would be to use the correct hardware and keep the two tanks separate. You could either use a transfer method (pump or gravity) to fill the main tank, or install the dual tank valve and a sender/pick up into the aux. tank. You could buy a kit, or save some money and hunt up the parts.

The connected tanks you describe are not D.O.T. legal. The tanks cannot be continually connected (crossover line). The vapor lines can be shared, but not the liquid lines while on the highway. </font>[/QUOTE]Let's just say I had a brain fa_t with that one, and thank you for the input especially the DOT issues, and potential legal problems!

a5150nut
09-18-2004, 18:43
I drive a F*#d at work and it has a switch on the dash to change between tanks. Now I will have to crawl around and look at it to see what they have done to plumb in two tanks stock.

May be a source of parts at the recking yard or the stealer...............

sk8rdi16
09-21-2004, 15:53
I would like to put another tank under my Suburban. It will be a completely different tank (no common parts), as I want to run waste vegetable oil in it. Which trucks have the tank mounted on the frame rail on the driver side??

Thanks

tom.mcinerney
09-21-2004, 17:49
My p/u has tank inner side drivers frame rail....