PDA

View Full Version : Pyro And Boost gauge installation tips and suggestions needed!

Shaun091382
09-08-2003, 17:50
Hello all im looking to hear some tips and suggestions regarding the installation of boost and pyro gauges i have a '93 chev regular cab 6.5td and i will be adding gauges at the same time as i install my new DSG 4" exhaust system with 3" downpipe thanks for all your input.

Shaun

ucdavis
09-08-2003, 19:10
Easiest pyro tap is about 2" below donut aft of #7. Alternate (better, but more trouble) is to drill & tap or weld in a bushing to the exhaust manifold behind #7. Most guage kits come w/ bushing and hose-clamp type tap fitings so you can do either.
Boost has a lot of possibilities:
1) drill & tap the aluminum upper intake housing (I did this just rearward of the front left bolt holding the upper housing on; this fits the sender tube along wire loom to the guage set @ dash for me; yours may be different;
2) replace OEM tap fitting in upper housing w/a tee fiting & replace OEM sender on one arm of tee, your boost sender on other;
3) some like to tap & thread fitting into the 2" alum. neck of upper housing taking care to get reader pushed flush w/the ID for airflow (intake air is running about 185mph thru this 2" tube so you don't want to interrupt that w/a discontinuity);
4) a clever tap was centerdrilling down thru one of the 6 upper housing bolts (you have to identify which one has open access to boost or you have to drill one of the bolt jackets to get access) then laterally thru the OD of the bolt to the centerbored hole; I think he epoxied the sender tube into the bolt head.
Good luck. You'll appreciate the info while pulling a load.

steve-r
09-09-2003, 00:42
Shaun, so you finally pulled the trigger on the DSG system. if you don't mind sharing, what were your reasons for selecting DSG? what else did you compare it with ?

Shaun091382
09-09-2003, 15:43
steve-r i havent yet pulled the trigger but i am very close...still toying with other ideas...t be honest i havent compared with much i ruled out all american based places only to avoid importing and hidden fees and taxes...so i'll stay within canada...only two company's i know of to compare...BD and DSG ...DSG kit comes with gauges which BD's doesn't...but for a higher price you can still get gauges from BD