PDA

View Full Version : DTC 19 - crank sensor problem?

norm
09-17-2004, 17:00
Interesting happening on way to job this morning:

On highway going about 60mph with cruise on, hit bump (normal bridge seam). I thought I lost power, but I think it just kicked the cruise control off and coded. I stopped about 7 miles later and checked codes - "DTC 19 - Crankshaft Position Reference Error"

What do you think happened? A loose sensor knocked a little by the bump or what? Never had this before and it was fine the rest of the day.

[ 09-18-2004, 10:55 AM: Message edited by: norm ]

damork
09-18-2004, 19:01
norm,
You may have a problem with this sensor, and if so it isn't usually a real big problem to change it.

The crank sensor and sensor in the pump are constantly referenced by the ECM and whenever one of them doesn't register right you will get an error. I'm just guessing here based on all the issues I had coming up but outside either the pump, PMD, ECM, or crank sensor, that there could be enough slack in a bad timing chain where all the tolerances add up to the ECM showing a warning light.

I replaced my chain with gears at 160k miles along with a new reference sensor for insurance and was the best thing I've done to help hold timing where it should be.