PDA

View Full Version : Why is my 6.2 easier to start than this one?

Randee of the Redwoods
08-13-2003, 17:31
Someone has to know. With a cold motor, my 6.5td takes the obligitory 1-4 seconds to start(scares me to think what winter will bring). Yet my 6.2 in my 84 Jimmy, after sitting untouched TWO WEEKS, lights up and roars to life after only the initial glow cycle(around 7 seconds). The 6.5 gets about that same time. There's no miss or lopiness after starting. No smoke of any color. It just takes quite a few cranks to light it up. (when it's warm, it's easier to start) Anybody have an idea? I'd replace the +12v lead to the glow controller, but I can't follow it to replace it. Could it be the oil pressure guage/switch controlling the fuel pump? Would it help the engine to turn the electric fuel pump on with ign? Maybe replace the pump with a stronger unit(same psi, just a touch more flow rate)? I'm not in too much of a quibble on this one. I've replaced all but one of the battery cables and it's made a big difference in starter performance, so as long as it starts, I'm ok. But this one simple deal nags my mind.

toyboxrv
08-13-2003, 19:34
Your mechanical pump in your 84 puts out fuel as soon as the engine turns over. The 94 waits for several rotations to get a reading from the crank sensor before the pump sends out some fuel. Winter starting isn't much different.

whatnot
08-13-2003, 19:40
It might be the glow plugs. If the 94 had 60G's in it and not extra glow time, I think it will start harder.
THe glow pluds on mine haven't been working lately but it still starts after 3 or 4 seconds on cranking. When the glow plugs do work it starts amost instantly.

Also, weak compression could cause a hard start.
It would also help to set the DTC closer to -1.94 (costs about $100 at a dealer)