PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Start/Smoke-? Injectors

rjwest
09-18-2004, 02:16
Did not run truck for a week. When I started it
it ( took a few trys ) it ran rough.
Had a " clop-Clop sound ) and smoked ( whitish ).
Also idled at about 500rpm ( normal 750 ) and appeared to have a miss. but did not have the " dry" injector rap.
Lift Pump pressure was normal, but I think the glow plugs did not cycle very long.

Cleared up after about 1-2 minutes.

Have not had this problem before, although it has
not been starting as well as it used to, Seems
to drop rpm than catch on intial start. Never any smoke Good power, no miss etc.

I have not been driving it the last 3 weeks as
it sits with my Truck Camper loaded with a Tarp over the roof. ( Waiting for next hurricane ).

Plan to drive it awhile ( as soon as Jeanna makes up her mind )to see if it clears up. Should I be looking for a set of injectors.
INFO:
106K miles, Inj Pump 30K miles, original glow plugs, super clean/twice filtered/ water free fuel,

Peter J. Bierman
09-19-2004, 07:27
Seems you have two possibilities,
Either there is air seeping into injectionsystem over a period off time.
Air is being purged out in a few minutes.
Or one or more glowplugs do not work, giving hard starts and some white smoke till the cylinder fires regulary like the rest.
I'll check glow plugs first couse they give the exact symptoms you discibe.

Hope this helps,

Peter

john8662
09-19-2004, 18:58
So, you don't get the fast idle when cold and its harder to start? If you're staring it cold and it doesn't idle up for a little while (the 750) then you could have a bad sensor. There is a sensor that detects water temp that affects how the truck starts. If this sensor goes bad, you'll see what you're getting. To see if thats the problem all you'll have to do is unplug it, just to test. Unplug the temp sensor thats on the water crossover pipe (the pipe that has the thermostats in it). The sensor is a two wire sensor that is on the passenger side of the engine water crossover (your left if you are standing in front). Unplug it before your first start. If the glow plugs stay on for a long time and it fires up and idle up high, then thats probably your problem. Unplugging this sensor will make the computer default to the coldest setting it has. So it will be really loud (lots of advance) and a long glow time.

rjwest
09-20-2004, 03:16
Started truck after sitting 2 days, everything normal. Idle 750 and no noise or smoke..

Did rember that when it " smoked " the outside temp was about 91 degrees and around 1:00 pm. do you think the coolant temp was to hot to set " fast Idle' and glow plugs.

Is glow plug time regulated by colant temp.
IE: higher temp less glow plug time ?

I think I will just leave things be for now and see if it occurs again...

Thanks John and Peter for reply's

john8662
09-20-2004, 06:54
Yes, the glow time on start is regulated by temperature, the hotter the engine, the less glow time you'll get. On a realy cold morning, you'll get the longest glow time, especially on the first cold start.

rjwest
09-23-2004, 07:30
Truck is still starting " OK " Idles good and no smoke. Outside Temperatures have been cooler.

Also have not let it sit for more than 2 days before starting.

The day I had the problem was very hot ( 90 DEg
and in direct sun untill about 1PM.

I am guessing the glow plug cycle was to short due to coolant temps being high at start...