PDA

View Full Version : Dropping Bell Housing

CaseyR
08-13-2003, 17:53
My clutch has decided to stay mostly engaged - I think perhaps it is time rebuild the clutch. Running clutchless with a 5-speed in traffic is possible, I found out, but not fun...

How is the easy way to drop the bell housing? I pulled the transmission a few months back to look at the clutch, but even without the transmission in the way, I couldn't see the top bolts on the bell housing - much less get my hand up there to loosen them.

When I dropped the tranny, I held the engine up with a floor jack, but when I lowered the floor jack, the engine only dropped by about 1/2" so I still couldn't figure out how to get to the top bell housing bolts. Hopefully, I won't have to yank the engine...

(There thought there were a couple of threads in the archives on this, but I did a search and found nothing.)

The vehicle is a high mileage '93 x-cab, long bed with the 5 speed tranny.

a5150nut
08-13-2003, 18:44
I can get to my top bellhousing bolts with the engine hanging on the mounts. Maye the K2500 has a little higher cab mounts - or - my engine mounts are worn.

I use a socket with swivel and a long extention. Kinda got to feel around for were they are. BE VERY CAREFULL WITH THE HYDRAULIC CLUTCH LINE!!! The first time I broke the connectio at the master cylinder because I diconected the slave cylinder and not the master while changeing the starter. Master lasted long enough to get me 200 miles to work and almost to lunch. San Jose rush hour traffic is fun without a clutch. Only had to shut it off at one light because someone wanted the extra room I was leaving to keep rolling.

twaddle
08-17-2003, 10:31
If you are having trouble getting a skt & ratchet onto the bellhousing top bolts, try a combination ratchet spanner.

Remember to leave a couple of bolts in place further down just in case the housing falls down and thumps you on the head.

Jim Twaddle
Biggar, Scotland

twaddle@globalnet.co.uk

Jim P
08-17-2003, 14:41
When I took my engine out, I removed the top bolts from the top. I moved the glow plug controler and some of the wiring so I could get in there. I used a box end wrench to break them loose and then I used a 1/4 drive ratchet and socket to finish taking them out. Mine actually had studs so I had to remove a nut that secures the fuel lines and then move the fuel line to get at the actual stud that secures the bellhousing to the engine.

Hope this helps. By the way, you might not want any young kids around when doing this. I few words came out of my mouth that probably weren't appropriate for youngons ears, if you know what I mean.

Jim P.